Jambands.ca

Toronto Tam Tam

Large Marge

Someone asked me to post about this (Deb maybe?) as they are doing regular Saturday night circles for the next little while. I went a few weeks ago to this, and it was O.K. The potential was there for it to be awesome (2 Didgeridoos, some rattles and cowbells and schtuff, and a plethora of various drums… not to mention a host of gyrating dancers, casting off their earthly shackles). The only problem was the lack of listening and giving that seemed to be going on. It was my first indoor circle (way different experience than say the Trinity Bellwood’s circles last summer), and it felt somewhat confined and almost territorial, as competing beats would break out from the direction of the organizer and continue until all other threads were cut.

The crowd was mixed, but mostly middle-agers and not a whole lot of kids (though we got there quite late - I did see a few families leaving as we arrived). Can’t say that I’ll go again, but if I had kids, it would probably be a great family night out… water and CD giveaways were included in the $5 admission.

Cheers!

[color:"blue"] Toronto Tam Tam

NEW! ...

Every Saturday throughout Feb.and March

at the Xing Dance Theatre. 9pm-1am

Drum Circle and Dancing

Xing Dance Theatre, 452 College St.

(just West of Bathurst St.)

$5 (kids free)

Tell all of your friends.

MU

To get on the TTT e-mail list: ttt@look.ca

To be informed of all drum/dance related events in the GTA, subscribe to:

gtadrummingstuff@canada.com

hey Marge - I felt exactly the same way about both jams.

The Trin-Bellwoods summer jams are just so amazing.. great listening, super funky beats, awesome people. The Tam Tam is very very thunderous and there's really no point in playing there unless you want to go completely inside yourself. If you're looking for interaction with other drummers, the Tam Tam isn't the place to be.

Of course I haven't been to the Tam Tam since 2003...