Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday Roger Daltrey 03/01/1945

TimmyB

Happy 60th Birthday Roger,

May you have many more, in health and happiness.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the Who close another tour in Toronto.

from www.billboard.com

THIS DAY IN MUSIC for March 1, 2005.

1945 - Roger Daltrey, lead singer of the Who, is born in London. He stars in the films "Tommy," "Lisztomania," "The Mania" and "McVicar."

I can't believe I missed this birthday, given The Who are my favourite band ( along with the Allmans ).

Happy birthday Rog, you old sheet-metal worker you!

Now, break Who2 up as soon as possible.

Wouldn't it be the Who4? And why should Roger and Pete break up?

I have seen the Who(3 and 4) 5 times (4 times the Who3 and 1 time the Who4) and they were all great gigs.

It's sad that Keith and John are gone (may they both rest in peace) but that doesn't mean what Pete and Roger continue to do can't still be great.

Have you even seen any recent incarnations of the Who?

Yes I have. The last time Rog, Pete and company came to Toronto. A really great show. They continued the tour without the recently departed Entwistle. I had trouble calling them The Who at the time. I preferred " Roger & Pete ".

Two too many members are gone now for me to feel comfortable with any name associated with The Who. I don't like feeling that they are capitalizing on their name like current incarnations of The Doors, Lynryd Skynyrd have been doing. The Dead aren't innocent either.

Yes I have. The last time Rog, Pete and company came to Toronto. A really great show. They continued the tour without the recently departed Entwistle. I had trouble calling them The Who at the time. I preferred " Roger & Pete ".

Two too many members are gone now for me to feel comfortable with any name associated with The Who. I don't like feeling that they are capitalizing on their name like current incarnations of The Doors, Lynryd Skynyrd have been doing. The Dead aren't innocent either.

I would maybe feel this way if it were just Roger going out and calling himself the Who. But in my eyes Pete is the heart and soul of the Who, and as long as it's Pete and Roger I have no problem in going to their shows.

One of my only musical regrets is not seeing Pink Floyd in 1994. At the time I felt (and to some extent still do) that Roger Waters was the heart and soul of Pink Floyd and that since Waters had a problem with David Gilmour and company calling themselves Pink Floyd I didn't go out of protest.

Now over a decade later I have since seen Roger Waters once in Toronto but have yet to see Gilmour by himself or as apart of Pink Floyd. If I never see Gilmour live I it might end up being the biggest missed concert regret in my life.

Since I don't care what the circumstance is if I love an artist I will go and see them even if other past members of the group I'm about to see have a problem with them touring under the specific name on the ticket.

Pete may be the soul of The Who, but Keith Moon was the heart.

If Keith and Pete were the only two members alive ( as if Keith could live ), I'd be ok with them calling themselves The Who.

Not to knock Keith Moon (he is easily in my top 5 of favorite drummers) but it's easier to recreate Moon's drumming than Daltrey's voice.

No doubt Moon was more talented than Daltrey as a musician, but as a voice (and by voice I mean each persons individual instrument, including vocals) I would say that to recreate the Who on stage live Daltrey is far more important of a figure.

If destiny was reversed and it was Moon and Entwistle that lived their is no way they could call themselves the Who.

I see your point in the fact that instead of still calling themselves the Who they could call the band Townshend and Daltrey, much like the way that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant instead of Led Zeppelin called themselves Page and Plant.

Either way I'll still be in attendance at their next show in Toronto

I'm saying that Pete is the most important, followed by Moon. Moon's personality and drumming was just as important to The Who as Pete's songwriting and guitaring - see their lifeless output after Keith's demise. Moon embodied The Who: aggressive, unpredictable, inspiring, self-destructive, innovative, brash, funny, smart, infuriating, abusive, larger that life: A true rock legend.

Moon inspired Pete to write Who songs around his drumming sound and aggressive, manic nature.

You can't recreate Moon. Copied yes, duplicated? I like to see someone try it!

I do love what Pete's produced in recent years (even "Psychoderelict", despite initial and sometimes recurrent misgivings), autonomous of the Who; the Who material he worked with on that 1999 Maryville Academy disc he put a brilliant spin on. I reckon I'd go out of my way to catch him, whether or not he called himself the Who (depending, of course, on whether Mr. Burns and Ticketmaster wanted to bilk me for $100 to do so). "One of rock's authentic geniuses," I think Jerry once called him - must agree.

Pete is my biggest musical influence. Has been for over 25 years. His playing continues to evolve, especially his lead guitar work. He's never been overly prolific as a songwriter, but his collection of songs over his career are some of the most important in popular music. I'd walk through a hurricane to see him live. Roger? I'd go if he was putting on a free show.

Pete is my biggest musical influence. Has been for over 25 years. His playing continues to evolve, especially his lead guitar work. He's never been overly prolific as a songwriter, but his collection of songs over his career are some of the most important in popular music. I'd walk through a hurricane to see him live. Roger? I'd go if he was putting on a free show.

So if Roger Daltrey was playing the Danforth Music Hall for $20 you wouldn't attend the gig?

happy birthday roger. sorry about the abuse, but it's all i can afford :)

Yeah, wait a minute - what was I thinking - his own birthday, too - Roger, sorry, if you've just run across this thread 'cause you googled your name or something, you know, don't take it the wrong way... Really, you rock... ah, geez.... :P

(So - any free shows in Toronto or Acton soon?)

OK, $15.

I just had a meeting with my financial investor. She's in her late 50's from England. Anyway, somehow our conversaztion drifted towards music and the British Invasion. She then asked me if I'd heard her Who story. I said no.

Here it is:

She ( Roberta ) said she went to see this band that was supposed to be good at a club in London back in late 1963 or early 1964. They were called The High Numbers. They were, in her words " amazing ". Roberta said she didn't like drums, but she couldn't keep her eyes off of Keith Moon. He was so wild and powerful. She also had a thing for Roger Daltrey. A lot of the young mod ladies did at the time. Anyway, after the show she went outside with one of her friends to take a breather. Well, who was there but Rog and the boys. What I found fascinating is that Roberta said that Roger stood alone, away from the rest of the band. This makes sense because Roger and Pete were going through a leadership power struggle at the time. Roger was even booted out of the band at around that time.

There's more:

Roberta went up and talked to Roger. She told him that The High Numbers were great and that they should try to get on the TV show: Ready Steady Go! Roger said that they were going to be on the show soon, but they had to change the name of their band first ( no upper/downer drug reference allowed for the band's name ). Roger told her that they changed their name a few times. They were called The Zoot Suits at one time.

So, she saw a pre-Who Who, in the middle of a internal power-struggle, not yet known in their own country ( until their memorable performance on Ready Steady Go! ) on the cusp of British Invasion greatness.

She's a cool lady. The other bands she saw in the mid 60's and the brief Kinks/John Lennon story were fascinating to hear as well.