Jambands.ca

The Mars Volta

Del

Highly respected, but not my cup of tea. I heard them open for the Chili Peppers at the Corel Centre. The mix was muddled...you couldn't understand a word the guy was yelling...you couldn't distinguish one instrument from another. At first, i thought it was just the sound that night, but the Chili Peppers sounded fine. I don't know what their recorded work is like. That's just my take on Mars Volta based on one show....

The Mars Volta are an interesting band, one that I want to check-out in great detail soon. I've seen a few of their videos and I like what I've seen and heard. I've also seen some concert footage of them and they certainly are ecclectic, in a progressive hard rock way. They have a reputation of putting on monster shows. Their latest album was released a week ago.

Check out what All Music Guide says: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg...kecibk59aakb~T1

Highly respected, but not my cup of tea. I heard them open for the Chili Peppers at the Corel Centre. The mix was muddled...you couldn't understand a word the guy was yelling...you couldn't distinguish one instrument from another. At first, i thought it was just the sound that night, but the Chili Peppers sounded fine. I don't know what their recorded work is like. That's just my take on Mars Volta based on one show....

Many bands suffer from a bad mix when opening for big bands. Don't judge them on that one show. I've seen many good bands put on bad opening shows because of the terrible mix that was provided. No great band wants to be upstaged by an opening band... and I'm looking straight at The Rolling Stones. They always give bad set-ups and mixes to their opening acts.

Thanks guigs... Monday April 18, at Barrymore's - The Exclaim Tour: Stars, w/ the Organ, Montag, Wooden Stars... I'm pretty sure I'll be hitting this...

Dr. J - I'm currently downloading a Mars Volta show, we'll see how that one sounds...

Good idea, Del. Jaimoe makes a good point in cautioning against making a judgement based on one show alone. Interestingly enough, Queens of the Stone Age were also on that bill and also suffered, in my opinion, from poor sound, so the comments about sound for opening bands may also bear some consideration.

There latest release, Frances the Mute is a great cd. Its 5 songs and 3 of them have many parts to each song. Also some songs are in spanish while others are in english. It flows really well and is an enjoyable listen. I would recommend it and its only 7.99 at best buy or future shop which IMO is a great deal.

Cheers,

jake

Guest Low Roller

I've heard many good things about this band, and I have De-Loused At The Comatorium kicking around somewhere, but I haven't given it a serious listen yet. Definitely on my to-do list though. Why are you asking?