Jambands.ca

KLEZMER AND EAST EUROPEAN FOLK MUSIC IN HAMILTON

kc

That's right, Toronto's Beyond The Pale is playing the Pepper Jack Cafe this Thursday, March 10th .

Cover $5.00. Showtime 9pm.

MainBand2.jpg

Since their formation in 1998, Toronto's Beyond the Pale has emerged as one of the most exciting ensembles in the Canadian klezmer, folk, and world music scenes. Rooted firmly in the spirit and forms of klezmer music, the group flirts with elements of other eastern-European folk styles (Romanian, Roma, Balkan) as well as modern and North American styles (bluegrass, reggae, funk) to forge a unique contemporary sound. Known both for inventive arrangements of traditional material and for compelling original compositions, their music has been described as "post-modern klezmer in all the best senses" (www.klezmershack.com) and "an altogether original mix" (Victoria Times-Colonist).

The band performs at music festivals, concert theatres, community and private events, and has toured accross Canada and parts of the United States. Their debut CD "Routes" (2001, Borealis Records) has received rave reviews throughout North America and was nominated by the Canadian Independent Music Awards for World Album of the Year, 2001. The group features Eric Stein (mandolin, cimbalom), Martin van de Ven (clarinet), Bogdan Djukic (violin), Milos Popovic (accordion), and Bret Higgins (bass). They are frequently joined by guest vocalists

Oh man this is a sweet show...at first I saw "this thursday" and thought.."fu©k..I'm going to Fat Cats this thursday" then realized what the date is today.Whew!

I'm going be down for this kc,if you talk to them before thursday do ya mind asking about their taping policy? I don't wanna lug the laptop around if I don't have to.