Jambands.ca

PLASKETT - LONDON - TONITE!!!

guigsy

Last night was one pleasant surprise after another. People in town I didn't know about. Peter Elkas was excellent for what we saw solo and with Joel. Mr Plaskett had us from hello. I'm a newbie to the Thrush Hermit stuff but all tunes were delivered with full emotion and energy. The stripped down sound really really let Joel's ability as a wordsmith and songwriter stand out. Impressed!

By the way, school sucked aaaaaaassssss today. Still a little fuzzy by the time the first bell went off. Good to see everybody last night. We'll have to do'er again.

Scottie King, I don't know how you do it. I had a hard time draggin' my ass off of Pikey's floor at noon today. Ick! Not that I should be surprised, you London boys are always up for far more than originally planned. I had one slut of a headache, but the beautiful sounds of last night were for sure worth the pounding pain today. BTW, SK there is an entire bag of happiness at Guigsy's for you. Proceed with caution!

Which brings me to ONE MORE thank-you-buddy-you-rock toast for Mr. Guigsy. I'm sure today at work hurt for you too. Sorry, but I just couldn't get out of that UM show last night to let you get to bed. Thanks for having us. I hope you enjoy your mixed CD (Oh Lordy, what did I put on that puppy), the little gift I left on your table and that red pomelo. :P We'll do it again soon I'm sure.

As for Plaskett. I heard absolutely every tune I wanted to hear last night. Natural Disaster with Pete was a definite highlight (okay, in hindsight there was no Peter love on that tune, but a lot of "Becky"ness, I know that for sure...a gin-soaked bar room queen gets confused...although hallucinating Mr. Elkas is hardly a bad thing). But as "Kinger" said, he had us at hello. I checked out the merch table at the beginning of the night and noticed Joel's Tees that read "Another Life Changed by Joel Plaskett". Hmmm, I thought, what the hell is that all about? By the end of the night I was sporting a hot pink one. Yeehaw! One of the best performances I've EVER seen. People, seriously, go check this cat out when he's at a watering hole near you. The stage banter and ad libbing (namely during Love This Town and Work Out Fine) are worth the price of admission alone. Don't make the same mistake we did though, get there EARLY to hear Pete. He is one amazingly talented man. I've been listening to Party of One all day. Tunes like Turn Off the Lights are hauntingly beautiful live and acoustic. I can't wait to see these guys again tomorrow at Hugh's Room. Giddy up Tdot! Prepare to have your minds blown!

there's fire in the trees

and rain upon the roof

it looks like we wont freeze

just close the chimney flue

and do what ya gotta do

before you leave

yeah, do what ya gotta do

before you leeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeee-eave!

fuck yeah!!!!!!!!

i say, anytime you can well up a mans eyes in the first song, you're gonna do ok.

plaskett was incredible last nite... his stories segueing between songs, his stories during songs, his command and timing, and ultimately, his playing and singing - he was on all over the fuckin' place. and london, good christ, LONDON was PARTICIPATING!! such a great vibe in that room last nite. he really did have us in the palms of his hands all nite long. he was equally as entertaining and amazing to watch alone with an acoustic in his hand as he was back in his heyday with the hermit, complete with rock kicks and all. all expectations were certainly exceeded, and i was once again thoroughly impressed with joel plaskett.

as far as pete elkas goes, it is too bad we missed most of his set... but thats how we do it in london, hahaha.... i actually cant wait to see a whole set of his... his last song really had me locked in.. very talented dude, and it was awesome when he and joel were playing together, too.

anyways, here's what i remember from the setlist.. in no particular order except that before you leave was definitely the opener, and light of the moon was definitely the closer.

before you leave

light of the moon

true patriot love

when i have my vision (w/ pete elkas) - had a wicked suzie q intro jam

i think there was another tune or 2 with elkas, but i forget what they were

happen now

lonely love

lying on a beach

natural disaster (w/ pete elkas, apparently - see kaidy's post)

love this town

radio fly

extraordinary

work out fine

weigh it down (im not sure on this one, but i think so - and there could have been another from in need of medical attention)

there was another older thrush hermit tune that i cant place

down at the khyber

you came along

.. and there was probably some more, but thats all i can remember right now.

man, it was good. real good. one of my favourites so far this year, and will likely remain a top 5'er by years end. so good.

(ps: kaidy - to answer your question what did you put on the mix cd, umm, nothing. haha. one 8 minute song that wouldnt play. i appreciate the effort, though. haha. and red pomelo? is that one of those weird fruits on my counter? the red one?)

(ps: kaidy - to answer your question what did you put on the mix cd, umm, nothing. haha. one 8 minute song that wouldnt play. i appreciate the effort, though. haha. and red pomelo? is that one of those weird fruits on my counter? the red one?)

Sorry about the mix Scotty. I'm sure there was a lot of funk (along with sappy stuff) as was my intention. Hmmm, perhaps I'll try again. We can do a swap when I need my Teenage Catgirls in Heat back. By the way, the red fruit is a pear (we ate some that night)...the yellow fruit is the pomelo. You are hilarious...I love ya! Ok, I'll take this to the PMs now. LOL

Hey POG, I will try to find you tomorrow. I'm still trying to find tickets (or sell my first born to get in). Please let me know of any leads and I will be more than happy to supply pineapples and gin. ;)

Steve in the 'Shwa is a GOOOOOOD cat. Oh, and the lovely Annabelle. :) Hope to see their smilin' faces soon! CTMF?

Edited by Guest
'cuz I forgot about the Steve stuff