Jambands.ca

Bright Eyes' Performance on The Tonight Show

Jaimoe

Knowing that Jay Leno is a conservative ( he glowingly supported Arnold Schwartzenegger governor campaign ) made Monday's Bright Eyes performance all the more unbelievable.

Bright Eyes came out on stage wearing a cowboy hat and boots, armed with only his acoustic guitar and sang a Dylan-esque anti-war dark folk/blues tune. He railed against America's war on Iraq and Bush's " bullshit " - which of course, was edited out.

This guy is a major talent and his choice of songs, given the intended audience, was extremely ballsy. I sat riveted to the TV, unable to turn away.

I'm going to check out more from this kid: he's 23!

Edited by Guest

Beck will be on the Tonight Show this Friday night.

I caught Beck's two performances on that trainwreck of a show, Saturday Night Live, a few weeks back. He was excellent. It's good seeing Beck playing electric guitar and slide again.

I should have prefaced that Bright Eyes is a musical vehicle for Conor Oberst - he performed solo as Bright Eyes on Leno. I believe Bright Eyes as a band is similar to Sam Beam's Iron & Wine or Mark Oliver Everett of Eels.

I saw Bright Eyes (Conor Oberst) this past weekend in California and his band was The Faint... Not really sure how members of Bright Eyes will be playing in Hamilton as it's just Conor... Unless you're talking about session players or something...

He really disappointed the crowd at Coachella.. All but one song was off Digital Ash, and the majority of the crowd seemed to be there to hear songs off I'm Wide Awake... I thought he was pretty good though... Nothing ground-breaking save for one song which had my jaw on the ground.

Full Coachella review coming later this week or the weekend. Or next week.

AD