Jambands.ca

Ed Broadbent to retire (again)

hamilton

From the Ottawa Sun :

The end of Ed: NDP icon calls it quits

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, Parliamentary Bureau

NDP icon Ed Broadbent is leaving politics to care for his ailing wife.

The Ottawa Centre MP, who staged a surprise comeback last year to fight for social programs and give the NDP a boost, made the emotional announcement yesterday.

Broadbent -- who surprised caucus colleagues with his decision -- will sit as an MP until the election, which he predicted could be as early as June.

"I simply cannot continue in the future, with all the work expected of an MP, and meet my deeply felt obligations to the person who is the love of my life," he said.

Lucille, his wife of 33 years who has suffered "intensified health problems" related to cancer, spends most of her days in pain.

PROUD OF RECORD

While he regrets not making more progress on the "disgrace" of child poverty and curbing a "dysfunctional" Parliament, Broadbent said he's proud of his work for more affordable housing and improved public transit.

Confident the NDP can hold the Ottawa Centre riding, he believes the party is in a strong position on the eve of an election after negotiating a budget deal that pumps more dollars into social programs.

But he admitted the Liberals may wind up grabbing credit for the NDP's "goodies."

"If you're in politics to do things, and you have an opportunity, as was seized in this case by the NDP, you do it, then you hope -- hope that through continued efforts that at the end of the day we will get the credit that's deserved," he said.

Layton praised Broadbent for his contributions to the pursuit of justice, human rights and democracy. Coming out of retirement to share his invaluable experience with the 19-member caucus was a "gift" to the NDP, he said.

Broadbent led the NDP to its best finish ever in 1988, when the party took 43 seats in the Commons. He served as NDP leader from 1975 until 1989, when he left federal politics but kept a high public profile fighting for human rights and an end to child poverty.

Good-bye, Ed! We'll miss you! :(

Cheers to Ed. A great asset to canadian politics and a guy with real integrity. Had the chance of meeting him at a workshop on citzenship and democracy, and he spoke with such strength and conviction that I was really impressed.

...he left federal politics but kept a high public profile fighting for human rights and an end to child poverty.

I'm always impressed at how members of the NDP seem to rally for social reform and justice even when not in the direct spotlight. They could always, oh I don't know, say...run a shipping empire! ;) I always believed growing up that when it came to deciding what you are supposed to do with your life, you simply had to look at what you were already doing and passionate about (even without a pay cheque attached). People like Broadbent were meant to help lead this country. I'm sure this was a tough decision, especially considering the position the NDP are in right now, but what a beautiful thing that he wants nothing more than to care for his sick soulmate.