Jambands.ca

Phish heads step in>>>>

headygouda

Ever heard of Operation Assface?!?

http://magicgravy.com/assface/

This is a huge undertaking, but I can only imagine the result.. Imagine having every single phish show, from the best source available, on hard drives. I thought this day would never come. Now I don't have to do all these torrents in search of those 'missing shows'!!!

I wonder if the same project could be done for the dead?!

...only a matter of time!

Right on,great idea for live Phish.Only thing I'm confused with is this comment >> "this will not be an online source of music" << so how would anyone obtain shows? I guess you would send them a hard drive(s).

I know the archivists for The Gourds do the same thing,I was told if I wanted the complete archive moreless (some recordings arent for trade I guess) to mail two 160GB HDDs to em & they would fix me up.

[edit]

Pretty much answered my own question/confusion....sorta cloudy headed today...

Edited by Guest

Here's a bit more info on the idea:

http://week4paug.net/viewtopic.php?t=1263

Now these guys are pretty hard core. Jamie lutch is heading the project and I know he's does a good, thorough job at everything he puts his mind to. He's the one that put together my customized laptop for 24bit recording.

They're not kidding when they say they are doing this in the most possibly anal way:

"all shows transferred from dat should be transferred twice and the resulting waveforms inverted over each other to find errors resulting from the transfer process. This is fairly straightforward operation in soundforge, and may or may not be as easy on a mac. In any case, of the 150 or so shows I have on hard drive, almost 100 have already been thru this step, Its something I can handle if need be (but help is appreciated!)

The wavs are then edited as necessary to clean up cassette flips, etc. errors are noted and alternate sources are found if audible errors cannot be corrected.

The show is transferred in native sample rate with no processing.

The show is tracked using proper non-SBE causing app, such as cdwav (win), or ?? (mac) in native sample rate, with the following naming convention: band:

yyyy-mm-ddsxtxx-Track_Title.wav

ph1992-04-16s1t01-Buried_Alive.wav

note the 's1t' instead of 'd1t' convention. This denotes the wavs are 48K, and the fileset corresponds to a set of music rather than a disc of music. If the original dat was 44k, it would be 'd1t' convention obviously. Having the title in the filename is important, because it is easy to bust out tags for compressed formats from the filename. Several apps for this, including The GodFather for windows.

The above files stand as the 'reference files' - the most listenable, hi-fi, dat-equivalent set, with no processing. in the case of 48K files, they can be batch resampled to 44K with soundforge, and then run through shntool to clean up the resulting sbe's.

so the files above are then converted to .flac and have tags applied (very straightforward if the track titles can be parsed from the filename as above) and become the 'reference archive files'. You .aacholes can convert them as you like once we get there"

The show is tracked using proper non-SBE causing app, such as cdwav (win), or ?? (mac) in native sample rate, with the following naming convention: band:

yyyy-mm-ddsxtxx-Track_Title.wav

ph1992-04-16s1t01-Buried_Alive.wav

Thats pretty cool,I prefer to re-name alot of my files like this once I convert (if I even do convert em) to wav or if I keep them on a HD for personal use anyway.

Looks like huge undertaking thats for sure.