Jambands.ca

SOULJAZZ ORCHESTRA and MANERVOUS BEAT: Gypsy: Thanks for the Goodtimes

SmoothedShredder

Hey,

Just to let you know there will be a great show at the Gypsy Co-Op tonite. Ottawa's Souljazz Orchestra will be having their CD Release Party at the Gypsy Co-op at 817 Queen St. West. Their sound is a fusion between Afrobeat and straight up Funk. They've just finished their debut album, and it's a great listen. It has been dubbed 'Uprooted' and will be available at the show. They defiantely draw you to the dancefloor, and will work overdrive to keep you there.

souljaz.jpg

Toronto's Manervous Beat is an ecclectic mix of musicians. Stretching the boundaries sonically, demograpically, and intrumentally they are certainly representing the cutting edge and fusion we seek to promote as part of the Gypsy Jazz series.

4255.jpg

DJ Rollin' Cash will be holding the groove down before, during and after the sets.

Hope to see you tonite, and if you find me, mention you saw this through jambands, and I'll buy you a beer, or some candy. ;)

Peace,

William

Edited by Guest

These guys (Souljazz Orchestra) are great, have seen them 5 or 6 times and it's always great.

Ottawa folk - they are local and I believe they still play every Tuesday night for free at Café Nostalgica on the Ottawa U campus. You may know them from their old name, Straight No Chaser.

Toronto folks definitely do not miss this, they don't come to your city often (I think this will be their first visit actually...)

AD

Yup, first time here... I know there not a huge draw... but they're great, and I really had to pull to get em to come, if only for there own good (I worked with the Sax player Steve mowing lawns for a summer, and you will honestly not meet a nicer guy... the summer went by so well, beat boxing our way all around Ottawa in our beat up 74' Chevy).

Thanks for all the added bio!

~W

Hmmm, I wasn't at KC, maybe that was the problem... :P Was it the talent or the room?

I love Souljazz, I really think their talented... complex arrangements... horns... and Pierre is a Wizard on the keys... last time I saw them at Zaphods they had the whole floor moving with dancers... it was a Tuesday, and it was a Geography party...

~W

Yeah, you lucky devil...you were at the 'Roo. ;) The room was noticably lacking because of it. LOL

I only caught the tail end, but the place was pretty empty. I guess I was just hoping for something more danceable or funky. If not, at least I could sit and chat at the back with friends. Well, it wasn't so dancey (although there were a few drunks slamming into each other on the dancefloor) and it was WAY too loud to be able to communicate with anyone. He wasn't rotten or anything, just not my cup of tea. We only caught one song with the horns too. :(

So yeah, just not my cup of tea. And really William, I missed you like crazy. :blush: Hahaha! Perhaps we'll see you tonight. Souljazz sounds like it's more up my alley. Suddenly there's a lot going on. I have a feeling I'm biting off more than I can chew. Eek! We'll see. A stroll through the city with my camera is the first thing on my "To do" list.

Yeah Kaidy,

I'll admit I've been disappointed with the sound... the little board we have just doesn't mix it well anymore... it was in our agreement with the venue that they would upgrade... but I think they spent their money on CDDJ's instead... Still, must... continue... to... promote... Spock!... not... everything... is... logical... ugh. Moses Mayes should be wicked next week too... super talented.

I'll chat with the sound guy... we don't need to blow people away in that room in respect to decibledom... especially if it's not full... and I've found the natural acoustics... especially with the horns, to be quite pleasant.

NXNE may of affected the crowd last week too... we weren't an 'official' event. Damn beuracrats.

~W