Jambands.ca

Neil Young News

hamilton

Finally!!!!!

Warner Bros. will be releasing "On The Beach", "American Stars 'n' Bars", "Re-ac-tor", and "Hawks And Doves" on CD for the first time ever - digitally re-mastered, of course.

They are due out on June 24.

I've been waiting for this for years - they've been saying that these albums would be out "sometime in the next six months" since I was in high school, so it's about time...

[big Grin][big Grin]

Yep.

"On The Beach" is from 1974 (a masterpiece, too!!).

"American Stars 'n' Bars" is from 1977.

"Hawks and Doves" is from 1980.

""re-ac-tor" is from 1981.

For whatever reason, Neil has consistently opposed these albums being released on CD - from what I understand, he was unimpressed with the sound quality when they were digitally transferred. These are now coming out HDCD, which Neil has been advocating (no bonus tracks, though).

Perhaps, we will soon be seeing the rest of the catalogue remastered - Geffen remastered "Life", "Everybody's Rockin'", "Landing On Water" and "Old Ways" a couple of years ago.

There are still two Reprise albums unavailable on CD - "Time Fades Away" and "Journey Through The Past". Apparently, there are no master 2-track reels for "Time Fades Away" from which to transfer the material, while the masters for "Journey Through The Past" are actually on film... so I dunno when we'll be seeing those.

This is good news indeed. "On The Beach" *is* a masterpiece. Perhaps even more bleak then "Tonight's The Night", this is Neil in a dank, dark mood. It sounds like a tequila hangover, and of course "Ambulance Blues" is one of the finest songs ever written about Toronto (sorta).

"American Stars and Bars" and "Hawks and Doves" are both flawed but have charm to spare. There are some great moments on each.

Was never too keen on"Re-ac-tor".

I'm glad NY finally deigned to release these on dastardly digital. Now, if he could get around to releasing his archives.... [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

You'll be happy to know, Sung-san-nim , Mr. Young and Crazy Horse have a new album and a new film by Shakey on DVD coming out this summer in Canada. Probably sometime in 2005 in Korea. Do all the cool kids still get there music at Tower Records?

Tower Records in Seoul is no more! I get most of my CDs at Syn-na-ra Records (I think it was called Tin Pan Alley Records when you were here?).

Archived