Jambands.ca

Guns 'n Roses: Punk? Hair Band? Cock Rock? Discuss.

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I'm watching a Guns 'n Roses DVD that Booche gave me from some performance in 1988. These guys are smoking live. So much energy spewing from this band that the crowd is completely in hysterics.

I started pondering the sad degradation of the band, and the self-grandiose Axl Rose's complete collapse into rock-ego hell...

I began wondering what Guns 'n Roses' final legacy will be. Were they punk like fuck or were they the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath? Will history remember them as the band that killed hair bands or will that honour be bestowed upon Nirvana?

If you get a chance to see this DVD, or any live performance from the early days, do it. It makes the more readily accessible Use Your Illusions live stuff pale in comparison.

GNR_OLD_BIG.jpg

AHHHHHHHH!!! Definitely a hair band.

GNR_DEAD_BIG.jpg

Wait... maybe they are a punk band?

Band_054.jpg

What the...? Maybe they are just a bizarre S&M cult?

MAn, I love GNR. I took a sabatical from listening to them for a while, and when I got Use your Illusions 1 again a couple of months ago, I remembered how awesome they were. Really, they were something else. Slash, to me, plays, at least at times, the perfect solo. He hits all the right notes on so many songs. I could go on forever, but i wont. Oh, and people who say they hate them have never really listened to them. Big hair, maybe, but it was the times; these guys were miles away from the rest of the big hair pack.

They were a great metal rock band. I never liked them, but respected their music - Axl's voice was one of the reasons for my distain.

Slash is still one of the best rock lead guitarists and I like Velvet Revolver. Slash has it all and his solos are perfect. Duff looks healthy now too, which is surprising and refreshing.

Guns were never punk. They were a harder version of The Stones - kind of a blues metal band. Izzy was perhaps the most talented member of G&R and a Stones worshipper.

Roller, do you actually think real punk rockers, the original ones held over from the 70's to the newer ones weaned on Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, The Misfits or Husker Du thought Guns & Roses were punk? No way.

oh Nirvana holds the title of hair destroyers for sure. GnR may have told Poison to fuck off, but they were a bunch of cock rockers themselves. Nirvana kicked GnRs ass off the map thats why you can download that funny audio file of Axl badmouthing kurt and courtney in concert.

i dont know what i'm talking about.