Jambands.ca

I Need Advice On Indie Labels

Jaimoe

My cousin has just recorded/mixed and produced his solo roots-rock album and wants to know of some indie labels that may take him aboard in terms of distribution. My cousin Dave lives in Japan and is out of the loop regarding distribution, indie labels etc...

His album is quite good, so any insight into small labels would be appreciated.

Yes Julius, distribution is what he's looking for.

The question then is whether he actually needs a label. It would depend on what he wants the label to do for him...help with promotion/touring etc.

If it's just to get the CD out there, he may be further off to release the CD as an independent and simply use a distributor.

Indie labels have limited budgets & resources as far as promotion etc. go, but another good place to start would be Maple Music.

Maple Music

They choose certain artists to distribute on their own label or will act as a distributor for other labels.

He's gone the self-distribution route before, but this time I think he wants a label's help.

Jaimoe,

Using a distributor such as Maple or Festival isn't self distribution. These companies will put the CD in retail outlets coast to coast or internationally depending on what he wants.

Having said that, if he wants to work with a record company, then it's a case of finding one that's willing to put it out.

Most A&R reps from labels will not listen to a whole CD, so tell him to put the 3 absolute killer tracks on a demo, put it with a bio or EPK (Electronic Press Kit) etc., and start shopping it around. Remember these folks get 100's and 100's of CD's weekly from artists who consider their work to be very good.

Finding a label that will release it should be fairly simple. Finding one that's got the resources and money to market it properly will be much more difficult.

I can't stress enough how important it is for him to know exactly what he expects the label to do and to get a clear indication from them that they can do it.

He also needs to know what it's going to cost him to have them do it...commission/publishing rights etc.

It's frustrating....but exciting. Wish him all the best. Let me know if there's any info i can help with.