Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday Garth Hudson (b. 8/2/1937)

TimmyB

Happy 68th Birthday Garth,

May you have many, many more in health and happiness.

Tim

I loved seeing Garth last year at Massey Hall in Toronto play with Wilco, though I'll never understand why they didn't do a Band song together (Or Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Relased" which I saw Wilco perform this past New Years Eve at Madison Square Garden. "I Shall Be Released" appeared on the Band debut album 'Music From Big Pink'). Either way it was great to see and hear Hudson with Wilco.

I was also lucky enough to see Garth on two other occasions. Once he played with former Band-mate Levon Helm and wife Maud at a Massey Hall tribute show to their ol' leader Ronnie "The Hawk" Hawkins. And the first time I saw Garth was at a Band gig at the Masonic Temple in 1996.

From www.billboard.com

THIS DAY IN MUSIC For Tuesday August 2, 2005.

1937 - The Band's Garth Hudson is born in London, Ontario.

I have a feeling Garth is going to be with us for some time. He comes from a family of long livers, all of his aunts and uncles lived to be into their mid to late nineties- we had a talk about it. I never asked him about his vices but I got the impression that he never did much more than smoke a pipe, weed for sure but not in the kind of excess as say Rick and Levon (who is majorly chronic). Although in the case of definitely Rick and probably Levon I wonder if weed was a surrogate for when they couldn't get smack. Anyways here's to Garth surviving to a ripe old age. Maud not so much.

And the first time I saw Garth was at a Band gig at the Masonic Temple in 1996.

Hey, I remember that show! If I remember correctly I think that the Mahones opened. Dr. Evil, timouse, Calamity Jane, snail, and others were there if this is the show I'm thinking about.

I was also lucky enough to see Garth with The Band on two other occasions ... once at Convocation Hall (U of T) and the other time at Lulu's in Kitchener, which was a bit of a culture shock for the heads that were there, witnessing the large "bar scene pickup crowd" that frequented Lulu's on a regular basis. Still a sweet show though.

Peace, Mark

I was at the Massey Hall gig (the Mahones did open) and Convocation Hall. By far the best show I saw of theirs was in the Poconos though at a festival I think put on by Relix (Zero also played in what must have been one of their last gigs). They deviated from their fairly standard setlist and Rick for instance played Long Black Veil on acoustic guitar and instead of just the Chest Fever encore they did Chuck Jackson's I Don't Wanna Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes like at the Academy of Music shows.

And the first time I saw Garth was at a Band gig at the Masonic Temple in 1996.

Hey' date=' I remember that show! If I remember correctly I think that the Mahones opened. Dr. Evil, timouse, Calamity Jane, snail, and others were there if this is the show I'm thinking about.

I was also lucky enough to see Garth with The Band on two other occasions ... once at Convocation Hall (U of T) and the other time at Lulu's in Kitchener, which was a bit of a culture shock for the heads that were there, witnessing the large "bar scene pickup crowd" that frequented Lulu's on a regular basis. Still a sweet show though.

Peace, Mark

[/quote']

that was the one, mark! what an awesome evening...the only thing i was sad about was only catching 30 seconds of the mahones due to a late arrival in toronto...but the band's set was smokin!