Jambands.ca

Cuff the Duke last night

dave-O

my friends bailed on me... so i went down solo, Cuff the Duke came on... at first i was totally into it... probably cuz the energy in the room was great. but after about 10 minutes i got pretty bored.

left after about 25 minutes...my feet were hurting me, and i just didn't want to be in there anymore.

oh well.

;)

I went to check out buzz bands Cuff the Duke and The Meligrove Band, with local opener The Colonial Quarrels, last night. When I got to the bar at 11:15 there were more people behind the merch booth than in the rest of the bar and the first band hadn't started yet. Yikes! (I guess we don't read exclaim here in NB?) Short sets from each band. The Meligrove Band, while they weren't my thing, were tight as shit and the singer had a certain Elvis Costello quirkiness to him that was entertaining. Terrible banter and humour though, even worse that CtD. Cuff the Duke were alright, inoffensive but sort of bland. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen but it never did. At least now I know why AD doesn't dig 'em - the singer sounds an awful lot like Chris Murphy (sloan). I was underwhelmed to say the least. The bar maxed out at about 35 people. A decent night for $5 though.