Jambands.ca

Dead to sell CD's of shows - at the shows....

MarcO

Fuck, I feel old. I remember reading articles on how tapers could best fit a 97min second set on a 100min tape (which tape to use - Maxell XLII-S - where to flip, whether to rewind, etc.) and such concerns. When to start the second set on the first tape and when not to, things like that. I remember placing ads in the back of Relix and reading those looking for "5th gen and better only" and such like. Then, it was snail-mail, huge packages full of tapes arriving at my door every once in a while. Loved it!

Now, you can order matrix copies of the shows in advance! [Eek!] Fuck, the world has changed.....

Well, it's sad that we don't still live in the days of soundboard patches being recorded and distributed for free. I notice that bands are claiming to continue their support of taping but really, I think that they realize they are going to kill it. The CD format really emphasizes the quality differences between a mic'd show and a soundboard or matrix show. I, for one, find it fairly difficult listening to a mic'd show because I've been spoiled by CD quality audio for years. I tend to only look for soundboard or matrix shows unless there is really something special about a show (like me being there [Wink] ). Now we're going to have a situation where you can trade mic'd shows for free or dole out your US$22 for a matrix recording. It's almost time to figure that into the ticket price and if you do that boy are concerts starting to get out of hand from a financial perspective. [Mad]

Something else that occurred to me is: How the hell do they do this. They are trying to tell me that they are going to record, "master", and distribute a show right there on the spot? How much mastering could possibly be taking plance if they need to mass produce the recordings for distribution mere minutes after a show ends? How are they going to produce that many CDs that quickly? Hmmm...

Love and peace!

Archived