Jambands.ca

Stratford Theatre Festival...

shainhouse

Heheh... I bet I can safely say I've seen the most shows at the Festival... I grew up in Stratford in an artsy family with ties to the Festival; I think I saw every production offered there from the time I was 6 until 18 or so.

Mind you since I moved to Ottawa I've only been to the Festival 5 or 6 times, so I can't help you out with this specific production.

That said, it's Stratford, there are rarely bad productions there (but whatever you do, don't go see The Lark this year!). Into the Woods is a musical, so I really wouldn't want to see it, but it's a fun story. Martha Henry is the voice of the Giant, and Peter Donaldson is the narrator, these are two heavyweights of the stage so there shouldn't be any problems there. SOndheim never really did it for me, but Stratford always has a way to pull it off.

Too bad it's at the Avon Theatre as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you should really try to see a show at the Festival Theatre to get a feel for the history, majestic-ness, and amazingness that is the Stratford Festival.

Note: Down the Street is where the actors go after the show, as well as the locals. Great little bar. Stay away from Bentley's... For pre or post show dining, there are myriad excellent restaurants in Stratford in all price ranges.

If you need any information on Stratford at all, feel free to PM or email me. I'll help out where I can. I know the town like I lived there for 18 years...

AD

Down the Street is where the actors go after the show, as well as the locals. Great little bar. Stay away from Bentley's... For pre or post show dining, there are myriad excellent restaurants in Stratford in all price ranges. AD

Finally someone who agrees with my opinion on Bentley's...I've always hated that place (ok maybe "hate" is a bit strong!). I also agree with Down the Street, great food and great ambiance (if maybe a little packed at times). Don't forget there is always Gene's if your on a budget!

Note: The show to see this year at the Festival is The Tempest. I really want to see this at some point before it closes on October 28. Apparently a legendary production. William Hutt's last role as Prospero.

AD

If I wasn't saving for my wedding next summer, I'd be all over that production. I'd love to see Hutt, one of Canada's best theatre actors.

I also agree with Down the Street, great food and great ambiance (if maybe a little packed at times). Don't forget there is always Gene's if your on a budget!

I'd stay away from Gene's.... It's cheap-ass gross 'Chinese' food. Ew.

My favourite affordable restaurants in Ottawa are Fellini's, Ragu, Pazzo, Bijou (Fantastic!!!), and Bistro au Jardin.

Fellini's is Italian, Pazzo is excellent pizza and pasta, Bijou is french, and Bistro au Jardin is a bit of everything. All are right downtown near the Avon Theatre.

AD

Ah, based on blind faith I suggested the Tempest to my girlfriend who's a shakespeare freak, but she just saw it back in the UK and wanted something new. I've seen Into the Woods done at CanStage and it was fantastic, so I suggested that and she agreed.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm hoping it's a nice day because we'll do a picnic too then somewhere in town. I've only been there 4 times and it's gorgeous, so I'm excited.

Note that going to Stratford and not seeing Shakespeare is plain wrong in my book. :)

There are some restarants on Wellington Street that make up picnics... And they are excellent. Also, tourists never get nabbed for drinking wine in the parks with their meals. (Locals do though). So that would be classy as well.

AD