Jambands.ca

Aceyalone: The most slept-on MC in history

zero

Okay I know these threads about underground hip hop MC's aren't particularly popular in a Molly Ringwald 'Pretty In Pink' kind of a way but....

But if you were going to branch out and take a chance on one utterly obscure MC I would highly recommend a fellow named serendipitously Aceyalone. For an accessible entree 'All Balls Don't Bounce' shows him at his effervescent and elastic beginnings but one must then segue into 'A Book Of Human Language'. There are many hip hop concept albums that deserve deep study but the overlooked masterpiece like a forgotten Brothers Grimm fable is Acey's 'A Book Of Human Language'.

Aceyalone's 'A Book Of Human Language' music samples

I figure if a rant and rave about every polysyllabically enhanced individual I won't get any play in these parts so I have to pick and choose my battles. That's why I'm saying do yourselves and pirate on an internet basis the entire 'A Book Of Human Language' and while you're at it 'All Balls Don't Bounce' and particularly PARTICULARLY while you are at it the tracks "Master Your High' and 'Accepted Eclectic' (again by Aceyalone). Just trust me on this.

And and while you're at it grab some of his buddy Busdriver's stuff. Just rip him off for 'Fear Of A Black Tangent', 'Cosmic Cleavage' and 'The Weather' (!!! with Daedalus - not the dude from the smurfs). Just trust me on this one.

Pretty close kc - the line is actually

Project blowed what's the code

I been rockin' mics since I was 12 years old

It's a reference to his crew Project Blowed which includes heavyweights such as Busdriver, Mikah 9, Abstract Rude and 2mex. There's a lot of crossover between this crew and the Freestyle Fellowship. Project Blowed is also of course the title of the song containing the lyric you mentioned but on that album (Accepted Eclectic - a classic!) I still have to go with the title track or Master Your High. Seriously listen to some Busdriver if you haven't already....

Luke, Andy recommended this disc a little while ago and at the same time that Handsome Boy Modeling School came out with So How's your girl? Reminds me of Dr.Octagon a bit.

I ought to pick this up, I'm far out of the hip hop loop but am easily bowled over by stuff in this vein.