Jambands.ca

Booche Requested White Stripes Review

Jaimoe

I'll submit a more " professional " review tomorrow at some point.

Last night's White Stripes concert at the Molson Amphitheatre was a fucking kick ass, blow the roof off rock show.

Songs from all 5 of their albums, plus a scattering of blues covers, assaulted the packed, and standing/dancing/bopping, audience for nearly two straight hours - yes, Toronto fans did themselves proud for standing en mass for the entire concert.

The Stripes intensity was high, the energy of the crowd stayed just as high even through the ballad type tunes.

There where some great covers last night. The traditional blues number from their self-titled album " St. James Infirmary " along with concert favourites Dolly Parton's " Jolene ", Willie Dixon's " Killing Floor " and Leadbelly's " Boll Weevil " were highlights last night. But their own tunes, especially songs from their challenging new album Get Behind Me Satan, were well received - which suprised me. Who would have thought a marimba solo could get the thousands of frat boy types to groove, but that's what happened on Satan's " The Nurse ".

I gotta go, but I'm still excited because I got to hear one of my favourite Stripes tunes "Ball & Biscuit ", one of the heaviest white blues songs you're ever going to hear. It jammed for 8-9 distorted, guitar dominated minutes, which must have frightened the MuchMusic influenced kids that wanted to hear the hits. I love Jack White.