Jambands.ca

Steve Hackett at the Capital Music Hall

ollie

For the couple of shows that I've been to there, no, they're not that adhering to the advertised time. (They are, primarily, a bar, and the longer you're in there, the more money they make.)

Still, there's a first for everything. If it's a rare and unusual (for the CMH) act like Steve Hackett, I might be tempted to get there for 8:00pm.

Aloha,

Brad

No, they describe their music as "funky jazzy fusion". They write full-on songs, with a kind of structure and maturity to them, backed up with a heavy amount of quality musicianship; if you could imagine a really amped-up Steely Dan, that might come close.

http://www.realgonedaddies.com

Edit to add: I found the quote from them about their music

The Real Gone Daddies blend the driving rhythms of funk, the meandering melodies of jazz, and the adrenaline of rock and roll to produce their unique, improvisational sound.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add self-describing quote from the band.

Show time last night was roughly 8:30pm... a reasonable wait.

Great show. There was a small but loyal turn out of about 200. Steve did a solo acoustic set followed by a set with the trio. The audience was drop dead silent during the playing and uproarious with applause in between. We even managed to pull an un-scheduled encore out of the band, something Montreal wasn't able to do. This was seriously one of the best Ottawa audiences I've ever been a part of.

I was also really impressed with the Capital Music Hall, it being my first time there. Great looking stage. They even let me go "in and out"!

Here are some selected highlights, mostly just the material I recognized:

Horizons

Firth of Fifth excerpt

Hands of the Priestess

After the Ordeal > Hairless Heart excerpt

Ace of Wands

Edited by Guest

Glad to read you had a great time ollie.

I'll be seeing Steve Hackett tonight in Hamilton. I have been a huge fan of Genesis since I was 10 years old. And tonight after over twenty years being a fan I'll finally get to see Hackett live.

I saw Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel all well over thirteen years ago back in the early nineties, but they were all big shows at the Skydome and I knew about them well in advance.

Hackett's last trip to Canada was over a decade ago and back then I had no idea when he was ever in the area?

Well now the wait ends tonight!

Tim