Jambands.ca

free tix for 2nite - Silent film with live piano

Large Marge

I won a couple of tix from the Word on the Street Festival a year ago, finally booked a film and have now been offered Leafs tix for tonight. [color:purple]Oh, woe is me!

Sorry but I ain't giving away the hockey tix! Please let me know if you're interested in the film...

Cinematique Ontario

Title: High Treason

Director: Maurice Elvey

Year: 1929

Runtime: 95 min

Cast: Benita Hume, Basil Gil

Film Type: Silent

Screening times and locations:

Tuesday, November 8, 2005 8:15 PM

All films are screened at:

Jackman Hall - Art Gallery of Ontario

317 Dundas Street West

Toronto, ON M5T 1G4

(southwest corner of Dundas Street West and McCaul Street, McCaul Street entrance, two blocks west of St. Patrick subway station)

Film Description:

The premonitory premise of HIGH TREASON, made in 1928 and set in futuristic 1950, is the outbreak of another world war between two fictitious global powers, the Atlantic States and the Federated States of Europe. The film’s lucid analysis of war foregrounds the role of propaganda and covert agitators stoking the fires of armed conflict in order to reap profits for weapons manufacturers. The leaders of a small peace movement strain to be heard above the clamoring of war drums and to win over a population swayed by the media’s pandering to nationalist pride. Among pacifistic TREASON’s many highlights are its intricate, spacey set designs, entertaining array of gadgets (including automated musical instruments), sweeping urban skylines reminiscent of METROPOLIS, a massive showdown between the all-male military and female peace activists involving complexly choreographed crowd movements, and a surprisingly graphic sequence of sabotage in the "Channel Tunnel."

Presented with live piano accompaniment by William O’Meara.

Cheers!

Magnum thanks you Large Marge. Good lookin' out! Now all I have to do is find the lady to take to this high culture event. (that's the hard part!)

I think I need to go and swim some laps on the beack an contemplate my inner turmoil. Either that or hit the disco on Maui with Rick. That guy always has a date! :)

Edited by Guest