Jambands.ca

Tala in Ottawa 11/25

bradm

I don't think they ever called it quits, but I think they went through some line-up changes last year. I saw them in Montreal in April 2004 (get the show here), and they had a new bassist, who (IIRC) left soon after that. They tried out a few other players, and had gigs scheduled here and there (even two gigs in Ottawa, both of which got cancelled, one because their van broke down, and one when they were the opener for Brothers Past). In the last few months, it looks like they're doing more gigs. I'm hopeful they'll get out and play more now that they have their act together, so to speak.

Aloha,

Brad

Yikes.

That was the best Tala show I've ever seen. The new bass player is amazing (and obviously studied), the sitar came out once in each set, and Pierre Chretien, the keyboard player for Soul Jazz Orchestra, who plays at Cafe Nostalgica on Tuesdays, stepped up with them for the encore.

Add in cheap campus pub beers ($3 for a pint of Wellington draft, for example), a responsive crowd, and a moderately early finish (just after 1am), and you end up with a great night.

Aloha,

Brad