Jambands.ca

Conservatives would cut GST: Harper

SevenSeasJim

I don't understand why you think that nothing is being done to make the system work??!! I think you are being extremely ignorant to the tireless efforts many people involved in the medical field, and in their administration, and in government administration are putting towards creating a more efficient system. It's not nearly as bad as you "perceive" it to be.

You want an example of how this is being done, well, here's an idea--amalgamation.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern has been that the on the ground efforts have been largely unsupported by a Federal governing body that has turned a blind eye to creeping for-profit medicine in Quebec, Alberta and BC. I don't mean to be ignorant ... if the private pay clinics that have made us vulnerable to legal attack from American insurance companies and would-be private hospital owners are somehow offset by other means, I'm happy to hear it. But I don't see how all the efficiency in the world can help us once the system has been pried open. We already have no means to deal with the private-pay clinics and facilities that have been opened under the recent watch -- they are proliferating.

It drives me crazy that Martin, twice now, campaigns on salvaging the public health system, and then sits on his hands while in office. I share the same appreciation for the public/universal system that you have expressed in this thread ... which is why I'm so concerned about the way it has been allowed to come apart at the seams, which only gives ammunition to those who would like to use that as evidence that universal coverage can't work.

Which/what amalgamation do you mean?

I would start with the city of Toronto-- a little too busy to expand here, but, my cousin just retired from President & Chief Executive Officer at University Health Network, a partnership of three teaching hospitals in downtown Toronto including Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital.

He worked tirelessly at amalgamating the three hospitals, and making them work more efficiently....

Edited by Guest

If education is any indicator, amalgamation is a proven disaster. The Toronto board is now downright Byzantine.

There's also the problem of excessive demand, along with that of inadequate supply. An analogous indicator here:

Don't call 911 for directions or weather reports, police chastise

We do often tend to waste what riches we have.

Edited by Guest

I would start with the city of Toronto-- a little too busy to expand here, but, my cousin just retired from President & Chief Executive Officer at University Health Network, a partnership of three teaching hospitals in downtown Toronto including Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital.

He worked tirelessly at amalgamating the three hospitals, and making them work more efficiently....

same can be said here in chatham with the good old "chatham-kent health alliance".. i know of a few doctors who have been working their asses off trying to restructure on a municipal level.. end result - one hospital closure, public fundraising campaigns to simply catch up to what bigger centres get - ie, cat scans, MRIs, etc., and no real difference in waiting times, overcrowding, etc.

Noble acts of hardworking people, but acts of desperation in response to unfortunate circumstances nonetheless. N'est-ce pas?

Damn it, we're going to need a politics forum on jambands. At least until the election blows over. ;)

Where's Bouche when you need him? Oh. Right.

Cuba.

Isn't that always the way?