Jambands.ca

The Slip | Pleasant Press | January 2003

Esau

Winter greetings to you all. Here's an update on where you can catch individual members of The Slip during their break from touring.

There's Andrew, and look who's with him.

Aside from exploring the marriage of REM and PVC , I will be joining together with some of my favorite sound whittlers this winter. I hope that you'll join us at one of these mellow little spots.

~01.29 9pm @ the AS220 in Providence, RI (401)831-9327. The mystic songstress, and my good friend, Leslie Serpentfly will play the first set, followed by Jim "the snakecharmer" Hobbs on alto, Mike Rivard on the bass and Brother B-Rad Barr.

~01.31 9pm @ The Knitting Factory (212) 219-3006. Leslie plays the first set, followed by a duo with me and my illegitimate cousin Marco Benevento.

~02.05 9:30 pm @ The Lizard Lounge in Cambridge, MA (617)547-0759. This will be the same proceedings as the AS220, beginning with a long set by Leslie. Miracle Man Geoff Scott will replace B-Rad on guitar.

Brad:

~02.27 Brad and his guitar will be playing a solo gig opening for and playing with the inimitable Marco Benevento and Joe Russo on February 27th at Tribeca Rock Club in Manhattan. Tickets are available on SlipTickets: http://theslip.jambasetickets.com/ now.

The Slip will return to its live performance explorations in March, including these just confirmed shows:

03.08 (Sat) Murray's Inn Wilkes-Barre, PA

18+ ; $10 over 21, $15 under 21;

no opener, 2 big sets - (570) 829-1131 for info

03.21 (Fri) Water Street Music Hall Rochester, NY

Ages 18+ ; $10 advance | $12 day of show

9:30 pm | 716.325.5600 for additional info

03.22 (Sat) The Tralf Buffalo, NY

ages 16+ ; $12 advance | $14 day of show

8:30 pm ; The Slip will play two sets!

Tickets available at The Tralf box office: 716.851.TRALF, at Terrapin Station,

at New World Records, or thru Ticketmaster. 716.851.TRALF for more info

If you didn't already know, tens of thousands of people are preparing to unite in Brazil this week to share information and explore change, on a mass level. This seems to be an amazing exhibition of the freedom that all of our ancestors have at one time or another fought for, and stems from a desire to set the world free from oppression. In this day we see mostly legal, or economic oppression, whose oppressors have a very elusive face which we may even support at times without realizing it. Without knowing that we have a choice. These peaceful world forums provide an opportunity for us to hear the plight of the people of world, which is long overdue. We send our prayers to all who gather down there in the dream of world peace. We remind each other that you don't have to be in Brazil to contribute to this massive shift of consciousness. In truth you don't even need to know about it, for it comes from all directions, with your peaceful self at it's center, as its most powerful tool. I was reminded of this when I read a passage from Lao-tzu's Tao Te Ching this morning:

"Nothing in the world

is as soft and yielding as water.

Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible,

nothing can surpass it.

The soft overcomes the hard;

The gentile overcomes the rigid.

Everyone knows this is true,

but few can put it into practice.

Therefore the master remains

serene in the midst of sorrow.

Evil cannot enter his heart.

Because he has given up helping,