Jambands.ca

Sadies on Saturday

SmoothedShredder

What an amazing time! This show is going to last with me for years. I've never really been part of such a guest star extravaganza. The brothers came out rocking hard knokcing off five songs in the first fifteen minutes. Then they invited up their parents: The good brothers and a pround Mama, for the first monster Jam of the evening. The five/six part harmonies on "There's a Higher power" were overwhelming. The playing was flawless (though the mix left a little to be desired in the audience. Perhaps this will be improved for CD and DVD.

My biggest surprise of the night was when Garth Hudson waltzed out on stage. When Johnny Cash meets Santa Claus sat in on the keys... the mood of the room changed from solid enthusiasim to "hold on to your hats... this could be a barn burner... Toronto style"... still, your's truly was on another planet at this point. Garth worked through four or five songs with the band before the next transistion.

At this point... I think/know, I'll get everything cronologically fucked up, but I'm sure I'll mention most of what I can remember. Somehow we got to a set break... somehow I ended up with two more beers for the second set, and BAM:

John Spencer Fucking Rocks. Nuff said.

An awesome set of diverse, yet tried and true country-rock saw the stage bend with special perfomances. Tempos rarely dipped below 120, and sometimes scorched the levels of saneness which made me move in such a way I am not afraid to admit I am still sore from today. But there were enough times in this over 25 song set that they slowed things down allowing for the audience to catch their breath and gain their bearings, if only for a moment.

Memebers of the Deadly snakes got up, and whamed the crowd. I think it was during this set that I felt like the Sadies were the best band that I've ever seen that would fit into a Quentien Tarantino movie. They could write the score, and then Quentien would write the movie around it. The result would be the Ultimate in Tarantino. Travis' mastery of the "Dick Dale" run was in itself a feat to behold.

Neko Case... brought a side of gentleness to the show that only she could, and was driving me to distractoin whenever she asked Mr. Moustache for "More int the monitor"... the harmonies for her stage time left me weak in the knees. Thankfully the crowd had swelled to a drunken mass and I could rely on my friends to lean on or else my hammies would of snapped.

Memories of the show also included some delightfully sarcastic Welsch dude hamming it up for a few tunes. A fantastic performance by Jayhawks guitarist Gary Louris, and another with the Dudes from Blue Rodeo. You know the dudes ;).

A small break for the encore, and another two beers in hand... I chilled at the back to witness an unstoppable, megajammed blur of an encore that went on an on. I remember only flashes of brilliance, I remember briefly chatting to John Spencer at the back of the venue, and then seeing him on stage at one point. I remember yelling a short and powerful "YEAH." on many occasions. I remember how emmaculate the polish on the tamborines was. I remember going into battle against the Sadies, getting beat down, and loving every second of it. Their name rings true to their performance in a way to me now that means so much more than the six letters which encapsule the idea of the community they have grown.

In the battle of the Sadies vs. The Audience, the Sadies scored a 12 round knockout.

4 1/2 Stars (Cause of the audience sound)... They'll get the fifth star if the DVD rocks.