Jambands.ca

Blue Screen of Death

guigsy

booche, how do i get that thing? the screen only stays up long enough for me to read something that i think says "begin memory dump" - then it flashes, and restarts.

phorbesie: i cant wait for this fucker to go to computer heaven. but not till i get my shit off! :)

edit: HAHA.. yeah - root cause found... :blush: :o

Edited by Guest

For XP:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->System

Advanced tab->Startup and Recovery settings button

Remove the check from automatically restart (under system failure).

If it's not xp, get a new computer. They're cheap now and it will save you tonnes of headache.

This will keep the blue screen up until you turn off the computer so that you can write the shit down.

Pay attention to what you do before it happens. Something's wrong with a piece of hardware (or its driver, something on those lines) and if it happens after, say, inserting a CD then it's probably the CD player. If it happens when you connect to the internet, it's something with the modem/ethernet card, etc.

If you have a camera it's much easier than writing down the info

I only put it for xp because that's what I have. That setting is available in all versions of windows, you just have to find it. It will be in the same general area. If you really want to troubleshoot, put checks in the ones reffering to memory dumps. You can download the windows debugger free here and load the memory dump file into it to find out pretty much exactly what happened.

Safest thing:

When installing windows, always make a windows partition and a data partition (C and D for example) that way you can save everything to D and if something like this happens you can just wipe windows off C and reinstall it without loosing anything.

Pay attention to what you do before it happens.

actually' date=' come to think of it, everytime it's happened, has been when i've gone to insert my pcmcia adapter to transfer shit...

If you have a camera

:D

does this mean you will be posting brilliant artistically executed pictures of your monitor??