Jambands.ca

North Mississippi Allstars with Grace Potter on vocals

Hartamophone

So the North Mississippi All Stars played a free, outdoor show in the Village of Lake Placid last night, as part of a snowboard competition (they were three chilly-lookin' Southerners). After the first song, they announced that Grace Potter (of The Nocturnals) would be joining them for the rest of the show. DAMN - what a union! This girl can wail, and her voice fit in perfectly with their southern styles, not to mention her firey work on the keyboard. They played a mix of her tunes, their tunes and covers (including a slammin' Lovelight). Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see this become a mroe regular thing, as it was clearly well-rehearsed and they seemed really comfortable up on stage together. Grace Potter (who I had listened to a bunch but hadn't yet seen) definitely lives up to the hype - I highly recommend checking her out for a healthy serving of soul (among other things). As for the All Stars, they were firing on all cylinders.

Hopefully I'll have pics up in the next couple of days.

Edited by Guest

You should make a point of checking her out at either of those fests (and hopefully I'll see you at Mtn Jam). Even after hearing a few shows that I have, I was blown away by her vocal range, keyboard skills and stage presence. She's a young, white girl from Vermont who carried herself like a veteran Southern blues woman.

Right on. I'm a HUGE NMAS fan, and I acknowledge that Luther's vocals have been somewhat of a lowpoint for that band all along. Did this Potter gal play any keys for the show? I've found their sound to be pretty thin since DuWayne Burnside departed. His style was a little too gritty Chicago blues I think, but at least it filled out the sound of the band a bit.

I'm gonna go check out this Grace Potter, she sounds good.

Did this Potter gal play any keys for the show? I've found their sound to be pretty thin since DuWayne Burnside departed. His style was a little too gritty Chicago blues I think, but at least it filled out the sound of the band a bit.

I'm gonna go check out this Grace Potter, she sounds good.

Yeah, looks like I left that out in my original post. She was on keys for about 80% of the show, and only came out to the front of the stage for the last few songs. Her playing was incredibly tight, which is why I think this was a pretty well-rehearsed (or at least thoroughly planned) event.