Jambands.ca

Slobodan

Biggest Fan

Is there any relationship between our (USA) getting rid of Slobodan and Saddam??? The Iraq thing is a mess and it is hard to justify the whole thing but... I sure as H@ll wanted us (USA) to take out Slobodan. I was an angry man as I sat and watched him do his dirty work while we sat by... (for way to long).

I'm not trying to make an excuse our actions in Iraq but is 'nation building', 'nation building' regaurdless of time and place. -n- you throw in the climate of the post 9/11 years and...

Sorry for the 'blog' but is there a relationship between the two???

Going back to Idi Amin (as a youngster), I have always asked myself 'why -n- the h@ll are'nt we doing something about this'. I guess I have grown up a little from those dayz gone bye. We have not gotten involved as many times as I have wished (Iraq not having been on the list). Is it ever OK?

Edited by Guest

huh.

i suppose genocide isn't reason enough to turn the global ear.

the relationship BF is $$$$$, precisely why as a youngerster you sat and wondered why the hell US/British troops weren't marching the deserts of Eastern Africa. no paycheck at the end of that one.

i don't know about saying 'we' were all in favour of getting rid of slobodan. I mean there are some crazy fanatical Christians and Jews who certainly were not and think he was a great person.

it's hard for me to think of when it is ok to get involved in someone's elses affairs. i mean if it were up to me, i would have had the troops in uganda in an effort to get rid of idi amin, and sure as hell would i have had the troops in europe during WWII getting rid of hitler. the taliban, yes, but not quite as decisively as the previous two. saddam, the same. i suppose for me it's a very fine scale of when something tips from totalitarianism to suspicious behaviour to sheer and utter genocide.

too, i think it's hard for us ('the west') to grasp different cultures and to recognize that although we have certain liberties that if without, we would consider ourselves oppressed, but to those who have never been granted said liberties, would never know the better. i think we get caught up in this kind of thinking too much, thinking that people would die for what we have, for what our definition of 'freedom' is. a lot of the time, i think we lack the insight into seeing just how evil our society, created by our freedoms, truly is. to enforce this on another culture is disturbing, and leaves me hesitant when thinking when is it ok to meddle in another's affairs. precisely why i cringe when the words 'regime-change' get thrown around.. politically driven coup d'etats. motives are well hidden under the guise of 'freedom'.

so i don't really think i could give a 100% answer to that question BF.. other than the afore mentioned you have to think about capabilities, and reason that even the strongest one day will become weak.

Birdy once again great post.

It is funny to you brought up the corrupting influence of Freedom. As a teacher I bring up the idea every now and again and it really gets to the students. I work with inner city kids and while they do well, its not often that I stop them in their tracks. That one gets them every time.

I have just found myself reflecting on 'regime change' with the death of Slobodan. I was all for that one... If it were not for Bin Laden, I'm thinking the Taliban would still be around???

maybe. but i think in time a different kind of bin laden would have turned heads.

kudos to you for introducing new ideas in the classroom-- that's awesome. i've always thought the only way 'save the world is to become a teacher and get 'em while their young. you're in an admirable profession, to say the least. :)