Jambands.ca

Masked & Anonymous

M.O.B.E

has anyone seen this movie? Starring Bob Dylan as Jack Fate, John Goodman, Jeff Daniels (the dude comes out of retirement), Cheech Marin, the list is endless. From what I understand everyone in this movie starred for free knowing that it was the only movie Dylan has been in and ever will be in.

Saw it for the first time last night and I will be watching it again tonite.

Jack Fate is a washed up musician who is locked away on "Desolation Row", John Goodman a promoter, tries to resurrect his (Jack's) career by booking him for a benefit gig for 'The Network'

The rest you have to see for yourself.

From what I understand everyone in this movie starred for free knowing that it was the only movie Dylan has been in and ever will be in.

Well, he did star in & do the soundtrack for Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)

(I reccomend the outtakes to this soundtrack- amazing stuff - http://www.phishhook.com/lists/Esau )

Also, the flop Hearts of Fire (1987)

Catchfire (1990)

Paradise Cove (1999)

Don't forget his unreleased movie Renaldo and Clara.

Masked and Anonymous was released in 2003.

I believe you can get the soundtrack at most music stores, in the soundtrack section. Although, I think I seen it in a Dylan section once also.

I'm sure it could be found online also...like, Amazon..or a bittorrent site I guess.

Heres some info from wiki, but be warned, latley they have been locking any Dylan related info on wiki due to some fools editing to some incorrect info unfortunatley. (This topic doesn't appear to have been hit)

The film was shot in only twenty days and was funded by the BBC. It was distributed by Sony Pictures Classics, a well-known distributor of independent productions. The soundtrack is composed entirely of Bob Dylan songs ranging from his very early 1960's-era material to work as recent as songs from his 1997 Grammy-award winning album "Time Out of Mind".

Many of the actors, including Jeff Bridges, John Goodman (reunited after their work together in the 1998 Coen Brothers film "The Big Lebowski", which also featured the 1970 Dylan song "The Man In Me"), Bruce Dern, Jessica Lange (who has had a long time relationship with playwright Sam Shepard who co-wrote the 1986 composition "Brownsville Girl" with Dylan, from the often criticized album "Knocked Out Loaded"), Penelope Cruz, Luke Wilson, Cheech Marin, Ed Harris, Chris Penn, Giovanni Ribisi, Christian Slater, Mickey Rourke, and Angela Bassett. In addition to several other actors of note, the band of the lead character is played by Dylan's actual touring band of the time. Other stars in the movie include Fred Ward and Val Kilmer.

Music from Dylan's entire career is presented in the movie, though his recent album Time Out Of Mind receives considerable play, with "Dirt Road Blues" and "Not Dark Yet" both used as background soundtrack music in scenes; Dylan also plays a very upbeat version of "Cold Irons Bound" in the film's climax. Furthermore, a live performance of "Standing in the Doorway" was cut from the final edit, but included as a bonus on the DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_and_Anonymous

enter TimmyB in 1..... 2..... 3.......

MarcO,

I still need to come over with 'Masked & Anonymous' so you can see it for the first time.

Every big fan of Bob Dylan that I have ever talked to loved this film, myself included.

It's like one big Bob Dylan song put to film, all the characters dialogues are so lyrical, even in their pacing, just a brilliant film.

Tim

Thnx for the info Esau. I was handed a white cd jacket and told to watch, so I did. This was the first dramatical movie I have watched from start to finish in about a year. Must see DVD

M&A soundtrack

About this CD

Editorial Notes

Bob Dylan's Band: Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar); Charlie Dixon, Larry Campbell (guitar, background vocals); Tony Garnier (bass); George Recile (drums).

Includes liner notes by Alan Light.

The soundtrack to the 2003 film starring and co-written by Bob Dylan obviously centers around the legendary songwriter's compositions, but with a twist. The bulk of the selections here are Dylan tunes performed by other artists, some being international performers who've translated the lyrics into their native tongues. To hear a Japanese version of "My Back Pages" by the Magokoro Brothers, or an Italian-language take on the BLOOD ON THE TRACKS ballad "If You See Her, Say Hello" is to enter into a delightfully surreal and entertaining world.

There's also a batch of Dylan performances that were captured live on a soundstage specifically for the movie. The bluesy, apocalyptic "Down in the Flood," the folk song "Diamond Joe," a straightforward version of the old warhorse "Dixie," and an ominous take on TIME OUT OF MIND's "Cold Irons Bound." These cuts capture the raw, rootsy power of Dylan's late-'90s/early-'00s band perfectly, and show that 2003 found him still very much a vital force.

Tracks

1. My Back Pages - Magokoro Brothers

2. Gotta Serve Somebody - Shirley Caesar

3. Down In The Flood - Bob Dylan

4. It's All Over Now Baby Blue - Grateful Dead

5. Most Of The Time - Sophie Zelmani

6. On A Night Like This - Los Lobos

7. Diamond Joe - Bob Dylan

8. Like A Rolling Stone - Articolo 3

9. One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below) - Sertab Erener

10. If You See Her, Say Hello - Francesco De Gregori

11. Dixie - Bob Dylan

12. Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power) - Jerry Garcia

13. Cold Irons Bound - Bob Dylan

14. City Of Gold - Dixie Hummingbirds (bonus track)

Edited by Guest
found a link