Jambands.ca

multiculturalism vs assimilation

meggo

:P. Sorry - stupid trivia threads ;).

I think I'm on page with Zolf here - it brings to my mind all the problems with private confessional schools I'm wont to ramble on endlessly about. All they seem calibrated to do is get sub-cultures to gather behind closed doors where they can make and store up their ammunition against other sub-cultures without getting much first-hand chance to interact with one another - which is desperately important when it concerns kids.

• 5 months later...

I think when it comes to the issues that it is possible to hold true two points of view which are seemingly oppisite simutaniously. On one hand you have the rigid 'membership' of a group that defines the 'mosaic' we have in Canada... but we also have many arena's where the mosaics tiles 'bleed together' almost like a melting pot. In my dream of Canada, and Canadian values, everyone has a right to feel comfortable about being part of a smaller group/nation/tribe within Canada... just stick to some basic useful rules, help us build some roads, schools, and hospitals, and spend time with the people you choose. But little by little in Toronto I see the lines between these groups being blurred... partially because more and more people are living on top of each other and it's getting harder and harder to maintain clear and distinct physical boundaries for these cultural groups! Little Italy is certainly not 100% Italian anymore... Spadina's China Town now has a sister town in the East end, and you can find more indie rock kids at any given moment than you can a person from Asia... though there certainly are lots of people in general!

So basically I'm trying to say that the Idea of Multicultralism is just a propaghada design to make immagrants feel comforatable with a place to go to feel 'at home' when they arrive, and the natives tollerant (In canada:Canadians... not just aboriginals).. becasue there are just too many examples of native's being intollerant in the past. The reality though, is that it's all mixing together (kinda like a crock pot melting pot) Beautiful ground work for Urban United Nations... kinda... and slowly going in the right direction IMO. Sure there are some old 'fight lines' that seem to rear their ugly heads from time to time, and we are making some new fight lines everyday with some of the foregin policy that we and the Americans, and immigrants all participate in, but I'n my befuddled optimisim, I think we have been growing a garden for sucess for quite sometimes, and I really enjoy when I get glipses of all the positive things we can achieve in Toronto... I'm sure it's like this all over Canada in some way or the other too!