Jambands.ca

Bonner Traded from Raptors

badams

This is a FANTASTIC trade. With Bosh, Charlie V., and a potential "small big" coming in the draft, Bonner's playing time would have gone way down.

Plus, getting anything more that a one-armed-water-boy for Eric Williams is a miracle.

I love Bonner, good guy with medium talent that plays hard. That being said, you can't keep guys on the team because they are nice, and he was overpaid by Rob Crapcock.

Bonner is a great guy with a solid work ethic and was a positive role-model in Toronto. But, he was an over-achiever and at best an average NBA bench player.

This is a good trade on paper. Nesterovic ain't a kid however, but he should reach better numbers in Toronto, especially after Colangelo's recent deals - and, the draft hasn't even happened yet. Anything can happen come draft day.

I gtot mixed emotions. I though Bonner was an excellent bench player, who always played hard and big and could shoot. And he was a fan favorite, a rarity int he T-dot these days..

...however unloading, the underachieving and overpaid Eric Williams was a sage move and T.O. cetainly needs a real center.

let's hope this is it and not another dud...

I gtot mixed emotions. I though Bonner was an excellent bench player, who always played hard and big and could shoot. And he was a fan favorite, a rarity int he T-dot these days..

Babcock made the mistake of over-paying Bonner because of his personality and image. He learned nothing from the JYD contract debacle.

Edited by Guest

I gtot mixed emotions. I though Bonner was an excellent bench player' date=' who always played hard and big and could shoot. And he was a fan favorite, a rarity int he T-dot these days..

[/quote']

Babcock made the mistake of over-paying Bonner because of his personality and image. He learned nothing from the JYD contract debacle.

Jaimoe, I have to repectfully disagree with the JYD call you made.

Trading JYD was the single worst decision the Raptors ever made, second only tot he Vince Carter trade. The JYD was a huge presence on D and in the locker room and gabe the team some much needed spirit and hustle. After he left the Raptors fell apart, especially on D. It is no coinsidence. I still say bring back JYD you could get him cheap...

Perhaps the best bench player they've ever had....

I gtot mixed emotions. I though Bonner was an excellent bench player' date=' who always played hard and big and could shoot. And he was a fan favorite, a rarity int he T-dot these days..

[/quote']

Jaimoe, I have to repectfully disagree with the JYD call you made.

Trading JYD was the single worst decision the Raptors ever made, second only tot he Vince Carter trade. The JYD was a huge presence on D and in the locker room and gabe the team some much needed spirit and hustle. After he left the Raptors fell apart, especially on D. It is no coinsidence. I still say bring back JYD you could get him cheap...

Perhaps the best bench player they've ever had....

There's two reasons why they traded JYD: First was to unload his huge contract, a contract that killed their cap-room; two, was his diminished or limited skills.

Also, it's not the best managerial decision to bring a player back if he's already decided to retire - the same player that was even less effective with the Knicks.

Don't get me wrong, JYD is one of my favourite Raptors ever. He just wasn't worth the dough no matter how likable he was.

Vince had to go, but not with the deal that Babcock inevitably made.

I think trading JYD was a fantastic deal...I believe we traded him to the Bulls for Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall correct?

We got rid of two huge contracts for one great player that stayed with us for a year and a half and another great player who became less great as time went on...I remember when we made this deal we were hurting for offense and so soon as the deal was made we went on a 5-0 win streak.

Bad Drafts:

Aleksander Radojevic, Rafael Araujo, Michael Bradley, Chris Jeffries (although we drafted Kareem Rush that year, still would've turned out bad)...

Bad Trades:

VC (obviously)

Bad non-trades (trades that should've been made but weren't):

Tracy McGrady and Donyell Marshall both should've been traded for something substantial instead of letting em walk for free.

There must be more that I can't think of right now.

on a more positive note, what about one of the best trades in Raps history: Jonathan Bender for Antonio Davis --> this gave us the big man we needed and Davis was key the next three years in making the playoffs and almost helped us to the conference finals one year.

Mike James for Rafer Alston was a good one as well...

on a more positive note, what about one of the best trades in Raps history: Jonathan Bender for Antonio Davis --> this gave us the big man we needed and Davis was key the next three years in making the playoffs and almost helped us to the conference finals one year.

Mike James for Rafer Alston was a good one as well...

Bender was released by Indiana earlier this month. Rafer actually plaed well after he was traded, although his poison has yet to fully take hold.