Jambands.ca

alaska highway

phishin4mango

I was backpackin round the Yukon in 98 for 4 weeks,hitched my way up to Old Crow.

Are ya goin start at mile zero?Great drive from there.

We camped along the way,in camped just outside Whitehorse at Robert Service campground,right on the Yukon River,theres a hotsprings about 17km northwest of Whitehorse called Takhini hotsprings,great place.We went as far as Champange before decideing to hit highway two(the Klondike Highway) and head to Dawson City for abit,there is some really amazing shit along that route,Braeburn Lodge is a cool little town,the forest fires were crazy when we got there and had to hang out for a day or so.Made it up to camp on Lake Labarge also...then off to DawsonIf you head this way check out Top of the world Highway.Eventually gettin on the Dempster until eagle Plains I think,then you have to fly into Old Crow.

Sorry I kinda did the Alaskan only until Whitehorse area,then got on the Klondike,so after Champagne I cant really help,I know Haines Junction is cool and keep your eye out for sign post village,some really cool spots to camp along the Swift River.Definatley check out Kluane.Tons of wildlife to see along those Highways.Lots of little villages and abandoned towns along the way,really cool.

Gas will cost ya at some point,make sure you get it when theres more then one station around,somtimes there isnt one for awhile then when you do see it,its expsense,but you got no choice.

In Whitehorse theres lots to check out,hit the visitors center for info,but definatley check out McBride Museum,(Sam Mcgee's place is there),so much more...log cabin apartment building.Thats all I will say.

I had some pictures posted on the Hub before but the photo gallery is down right now.

Anyway,enjoy your journey.You'll love it.

Easiest way to get to Whistehorse is through Jasper...hit yellowhead 16 and drive that for a long, long time....it's good to have a couple drivers if you can and lots of tunes and things to talk about. Then hit hwy #37 north...drive drive drive...then hit hwy #1 and you get to Whitehorse. Make SURE you hit up Liard Hot Springs [Wink] it's sooooo sweet. A perfect break from you drive to sit in natural hotsprings. There's camping there and across the hwy at a private campground. Nice boardwalks to get there, lots of trees, flowers and mountains and NO chlorine [big Grin] . You might even want to stay a couple of days there...it's worth it! You don't get that anywhere back east! Keep your eye on the gas gauge, there's long stretches where there's NOBODY. It's a long drive but totally worth it.....have fun!!! [big Grin]

my buddy Chris and I took a trip up to the Yukon way back in 1992!

He picked me up in Penticton, BC so we just stayed on hwy 97 north for the entire trip up there.

DEFINATELY stop at Liard Hot Springs! It is just as the previous post described, but nicer!

I saw moose when we were there, wild horses (for real), grizzly bear, mountain sheep all over the place...absolutely beautiful:)

You should also make it to Kluane...we did a really nice hike there on Sheep Mountain.

Whitehorse is an awesome/artsy town...explore and have fun.

i'd like to thank all of you for your advice and suggestions for our journey!! we are leaving late august to go and live in whitehorse, so i am sure we will do lots of exploring once we are there. the two previous posts mentioned both of the highways (37 and 97), to get us there from prince george. which of them do you think is the safest and easiest on our vehicle?? how many tires can we expect to replace etc?? can we expect crazy adventures with wildlife (ie: bears etc, while we might be out changing a flat??)

any advice and suggestions still much appreciated!! [Wink]

Archived