Jambands.ca

English Beat & The Selecter - Lee's Palace Sep 18

Kanada Kev

Hey,

Don't know if there are any fans of the 2-Tone (or early British ska), but tix just went on sale today for this show. Should be a blast. I've seen Dave Wakeling a number of times at the ElMo. The addition of Pauline Black on vocals and Lynval Golding (the Specials) on guitar should make for a fantastic, high-energy, dancing gig.

I just got tix #1 & 2. I can guarantee you this will sell out.

http://www.thebeatuk.com/

The English Beat & the Selecter

Lee's Palace, Toronto, ON

Mon, Sep 18, 2006 07:30 PM

LEGAL AGE 19 YRS EVENT

LEGENDARY 80'S BRITISH SKA FEATURING LYRICIST DAVE WAKELING AND VOCALIST PAULINE BLACK

later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

np: GD 6-14-91 Baby Blue (on nugs.net)

beat22.jpg

what's the lineup of The Beat these days? Did they ever get Andy Cox and Dave Steel back?

As far as I know, it's basically Dave Wakeling's band. No other original members of the Beat though :(

Dave Wakeling (Beat) - guitars, vocals

Lynval Golding (Specials) - guitar

Pauline Black (Selecter) - vocals

Wayne Lothian (General Public) - bass

Keys ? Drums ?

http://www.thebeatuk.com/beat_update.html

Here's a recent setlist from a gig last month:

I Confess

Rough Rider

Tears Of A Clown

Mirror in the Bathroom

Can't Get Used To Using You

Best Friend

Doors of Your Heart

Stand Down Margaret

Twist & Crawl

Full Stop

Never You Done That

I'll Take You There

Ackee 1,2,3

Jackpot

Click,Click,click-click-click!

Be There For You

Hand's Off She's Mine

Tenderness

Save It For Later

*Enjoy Yourself

*Monkey Man

*Message to Rudy

2 Swords

END OF THE PARTY

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

sounds like some false advertising to me :)

I have a live record by a band they called The Special Beat, which was half of The Specials and half of The Beat. It was recorded in the mid 80s and kinda suffers from some of that over processed solid state guitar effects sound, but other than that it's pretty good.

I should rip it for you guys

sounds like some false advertising to me :)

A little off, i agree. However, Wakeling has been touring under "The English Beat" for a long time now. The shows have the energy and the fun, just not all the original characters. Still better than most of the "3rd wave Ska" out there, IMHO.

I have a live record by a band they called The Special Beat, which was half of The Specials and half of The Beat. It was recorded in the mid 80s and kinda suffers from some of that over processed solid state guitar effects sound, but other than that it's pretty good.

I've got a couple of shows from that tour. I don't have the dates on me here, but I know that some sound better than the others. Let me find out which ones. I'll get you copies if you're interested.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

np: Big Leg Emma 7-21-2005

Edited by Guest

I'd actually be more interested in The Selecter. Original lineup?

They've gone through multiple changes over the years, from what I gather on their website http://www.theselecter.net/ It seems that a lot of that wave of Ska has simply reformed bands with whatever members of the originals are around and available.

I caught the specials one time at the Phoenix years ago. No Neville, but shit did they put on a fun show.

DANCE DANCE DANCE

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)