Jambands.ca

Oink Virus issues?/Computer help

Alexis

Ok....so I know I was asking for this by not using a Virus program, yeah that's right, i didn't have one. but i was running win95 and never have had a problem...ANYWAYS

My computer is fucked. right fucked. when i turn it on it asks me to give it the product key for my win95 which, i don't have. i got this box over 6 years ago now. so I got a product key from my mum and that didn't work. Safe Mode doesn't work. I got the bitch into DOS and mercifully remembered how to copy THE most essential stuff i have onto floppy. So funny that everything i DESPERATELY needed fit onto one disc. Tonight I'm going to try and copy my photos onto a disc, but i don't know if it'll burn or not in DOS mode.

Tomorrow I will be formatting my hard drive and loading Win 2000 or XP or something in that family WITH a virus program.

So my questions are;

a) techies - is there anything you recommend me try to do to salvage this situation? I've needed to format for awhile, but I don't want to do it like this...losing all my old pics, etc.

B) has anyone ever gotten virusy stuff from oink? or BT's in general? I'm sure it's possible, but i'm wondering if you've ever had issues...I've been downloading A LOT from oink in the past couple weeks (which i didn't get to burn, man my ratio...fuuuuuck stupid computers), and haven't been downloading from any usual sources. I'm just wondering where this awful thing could have possibly come from.

Are you downloading music? If so, I don't know of any viruses that come from mp3's or flac's. There are some warez there, but the warez seen is extremely clean of viruses. Believe it or not.

As for setting up your PC, I would recommend getting a new hard drive. YOu could probably find a 300 gig drive for around 100 bucks.

With that, you won't write over your pictures, and you should be able to access all of your files like pictures from your new install on the main drive.

My only concern would be the file system. Windows XP uses NTFS by default and Windows 95 uses FAT32. Would Windows XP be able to read off of a FAT32 drive? Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

If you don't have 100 bucks, you could probably get an 80 gigger for cheap, or off of someone who's upgrading to a 300.

For instance, I'm probably going to get a 300 gig drive very soon, and I've offered Ollie my 80 gig for a beer. I may rethink that though after checking out prices. Maybe I can get a case of beer, or at least a pitcher of beer. I don't really drink beer though. I gotta rethink this strategy.