Jambands.ca

calling out for TEACHERS!

Birdy

i just got off the phone with my cousin, who is extremely nervous about preparing for an interview in a couple of days to get on the supply list in the chatham-kent area. she's been speaking to principals of schools that she's volunteered at, etc. for advice to take into her interview. i told her that i'd post here as there seems to be a few teachers on this board who may have some tips for her. she's a fantastic girl and will undoubtedly make a fantastic teacher. if you can, please help her out! any and all advice is appreciated. it's a tough market out there for you guys! :)

Some of the things I keep in mind when...

#1 Understanding of School Laws- and their impact on schools/classroom (A good question to ask the interviewer).

#2 Lessons- the idea of differentiated instruction-the utilization of the various strengths/learning styles. Lessons w/ 3 parts pre, content, -n- testing for mastery.

#3 Classroom Management- A-good lesson B-traditional: seating, verbal cues, proximity, etc. C- Lesson which at the end (if all goes well) act to reinforce/motivate.

#4 Classroom- Goals, objectives and rules clearly stated, student centered.

#5 Professional Development- Two types of leadership, 1 role model for students and other professionals, -n- 2 active leadership "work to nurture fellowship within the school" *** very effective line in any type of job interview.

#6 Outside of School- Coaching, volunteer work, reading professional material, schooling, etc.

*Has'nt gotten me any place yet but my interviews have started to go very well.

heh! i myself did that same interview two years ago, with sandy blackburn and mr dawe.. you know mr dawe? he was a teacher & coach at victor lauriston, great big man, really nice.

i would agree and re-iterate what biggest fan talked about -

* bring a sample lesson. if you just finished teachers' college i'm sure you don't need a refresher, but absolutely make sure you include how and where you would make accomodations for students with LD - extra time, lots of visuals, etc etc.

* i have also been asked for a unit outline - not a hard copy or anything, but the whole backwards-design - what is your end goal, what are some steps you'd take to get there

* know how you're going to communicate with parents, how often, under which circumstances, etc. - i would say that you'll contact them for successes as well as when they need to know about behaviour/grades etc

* definitely classroom management - what are you going to stress in your classroom, what are some methods

* how will you handle a student whose behaviour is 'inappropriate' - what steps will you take [talking to them, consequences, involving parents]

* co-curricular activities you'd like to be involved with

at the end of the interview when they ask 'do you have any questions?' - have a good one to ask! like.. it's a little trickier for a supply job because you can't ask school-specific questions... maybe something like - what is your favourite classroom management practice? - i've never tried that one but i would take classroom management tips wherever possible! especially from experienced educators.

i know i'm still a newbie, but the advantage is that my interviews are pretty recent!

above all - be confident! the better you know your stuff, the less nervous you'll be. and let some of your personality come through - my principal still talks about my interview, she liked my sense of humour [i had mused out loud about whether i would be making enough money to avoid living under a bridge] and i think that was a big part of why i got hired.

feel free to bring notes with you [besides your sample lesson] - you can always scribble down the main gist of their question and make a point or two on paper before launching into your eloquent rationale on why you should be hired!

good luck!! :)

perfect! thank you meggo! i'm so grateful that you guys went into such detail!!

and yes i do remember mr. dawe.. i can't remember exactly but i think he might have taught in blenheim for a bit.. i remember him not in a teacher capacity but in a coach capacity.. hmmm!

and brandi (my cuz) says hi and thank you!! :)

Just be your cool, cool self! I just got hired for my first contract and just spoke my mind. Common sense goes a long way and so does a happy, calm personality....Of course it's ok to be nervous, Id be worried if you weren't! But be honest with yourself and your interviewers and if it's supposed to happen it will...good luck.