Jambands.ca

YSI song of the day

kookycanooky

Well...i've switched to sendspace, no signup required unlike YSI these days

06. Big Sky

inspired by psychadelic psunday (although this song was not featured) - an odd song off the odd 1968 psych album by the Kinks; The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society is a pop-rock album released by the British music group The Kinks on November 22, 1968. Songwriter and band leader Ray Davies crafted the concept album as a gentle homage to English hamlet life, and by extension, to the innocence and idealization of past times and people. The songs were assembled from material recorded over a two year period prior to the album's release, as Davies moved away from producing commercial hit singles and into a more personal, nostalgic style of songwriting. Many of the songs recorded prior to the early summer of 1968 may have originally been intended for a Ray Davies solo album and/or stage show related to the loose "village green" theme, because Davies was unsure whether they fit the Kinks' musical image and style. But as the concept progressed, and as the Kinks' commercial fortunes soured in 1968, the album was completed as a full-fledged Kinks project. Davies tinkered with the album until the last possible minute; he even halted the production of an early release version to revamp the song selection.

The record sold poorly upon its initial release and was ignored by pop music audiences. A contributing factor was that none of the album's songs proved viable as a single ("Days", a modest UK hit for the band in the summer of 1968, was originally intended for inclusion in the album but was released independently after the failed single "Wonderboy"). The album was also stylistically out of step with the heavy social and psychedelic music trends of the day, and its failure mirrored the Kinks' commercial decline during this period.

However, the record soon achieved a cult status as one of the band's best and most loved albums. Davies' timing with the album's concept proved to be just out of step; nostalgia was very unfashionable in the turmoil of 1968, but it soon gained a much greater mainstream appeal. Because its theme is timeless and based on common-day life experiences, the album and its gentle songs have actually grown more relevant and poigniant over time. In 2003, the album was ranked number 255 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time..

I’ve always loved the Kinks. I think they were always under-appreciated. But they have so many good tunes. Ray Davies has got to be one of rocks best songwriters without question. Saw them at MLG in 1980/81? And for some reason that I cannot understand, I never went to see Ray Davies when he did the Storyteller shows at the music hall in 97ish. (He actually inspired the VH1 series). His latest album - Other Peoples Lives - (and I think first solo release) is really really good. Solid songwriting and it gets better with every listen. I must have listened to it 20 time the first week that I bought it (I wish I had it with me at work now so that I could listen to it). Definitely in my top 10 list for 2006. I saw him in Montreal last spring and it was an awesome show. He is one of this performers whose just exudes sincerity. He’s got a great stage presence and his love for the music is obvious.

His brother, bandmate in the Kinks, and sometimes foe, Dave Davies had a stroke a few years ago. But he is apparently doing better and a Kinks reunion is not out of the question.

Sleepwaker has always been one of my favourite albums (of all groups). Bought it around the time when it came out in 1977. Finally got around to buying the CD in the last year. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen any of the songs performed live. Their sound changed much over the years as well. Some of it not so good, IMO. The overall catalogue is quite remarkable though, once again IMO.

You might find this interview on NPRs Fresh Air of interest:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5319800

BWM, thank you. Booche LOVES the Kinks! The moment I saw this thread, I was taken back to my highschool days and the song Destroyer. Whenever I got dumped by a broad or some bird wouldnt let me into her Jordache jeans, I would paraphrase the song and sing:

Fuck off bitch I really hate you. Duh, duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh.

Anyways, I was going to post another Kinks tune but will instead post Pigpen helping guys to pick up.

Lovelight 04-27-21

This is a fantastic version that gets cut off near the very end but kudos to Snelly for giving me this show, one snowy night in Ottawa.

"Booche, I always thought you would like this one."

You were more than right my friend.....more than right.