Jambands.ca

Just spent the Weekend between Nelson and Caslegar

djmelbatoast

I have many friends who have lived there for years at a time, and know the odd person who currently lives there. I also knew some guys born and raised in the Slocan Valley.

Beautiful place, and some cool people. Howler from this board lived there for a while. I'm also aware that Ty West, a great musician, lives there at the moment and you may just want to email him www.tywest.ca . He's a very friendly guy, and a great musician. (If I were going to Nelson, I'd call him for sure. You're certainly welcome to tell him that I suggested you email.)

Now ya tell me!

I plan to be back for Bonfire next year, anyway, so if you don't happen to make it east before then, we will meet next August.

Do you work for CHLY? Coolest station I've come across in a long time, and given that I normally listen to it while visiting my wife's parents in the ultra-boring berg of Qualicum Beach, it seems extra strikingly cool.

Well it's a volunteer organization, but I've been on the board of directors for the last 2 1/2 years. I host the Cheese and Crackers show Thursdays from 6-8pm and the Overnight Live show from Sundays at Midnight till 7 am Monday morning.

And yeah we have some of the most solid, diverse programming I've ever heard on a community radio station.

Actually, so far I'm loving my time here. I do miss the mountains, and you are correct that the air here is not quite so pristine, but I've also seen Little Feat, Tom Petty, Kevin Breit and the Sisters, Caution Jam, and other shows; and I've only been in Toronto for really a couple weeks. (I was on the island of Bonaire most of this time, and before that was my wedding, etc.)

Soooo... in a nutshell: Fun city, lacking in outdoor activities or a picturesque landscape, but lotsa good tunes! You're invited any time Phunk; of course. Mon futon est ton futon (when I'm no longer homeless in this city, of course, which will hopefully be soon).

Hey StoneMtn,

If you are looking for suggestions for great hiking opportunities in the GTA (okay, maybe west of the GTA), let me know and I'll pass some your way.

Some may not quite meet the criteria for being labelled as "pristine", but still well worth taking in.

Cheers!

Thanks StoneMtn! I may take you up on that someday. That said, next time you're on this side of the rockies, I've got a crash space as well. If you've never been to Nelson, you have to put it on the list of places to visit. It is the only place I've been to where it feels as if there's a show in town when there isn't...make sense? Just that there are a lot of artist type, socially conscious "hippies"(young & old) out here wandering the streets....good times.

Y'know, weirdly enough, it seems that Nelson is somewhat "on the circuit" for good bands to play. They don't have a stampede of music like Toronto, or even like Vancouver, but I think you'd likely have good live toonz at your disposal, on average, every week or two.

(At the very least, you could make yourself a nuisance and keep showing up at homes of members of Wassabi in Nelson, demanding live music or refusing to leave.)

The Phunky one can confirm or refute the above for me (when he wakes up).