Jambands.ca

Open this thread if you like good music (not self-promo, I promise)

TheGoodRev

A few years ago I followed around a ridiculously good band in Toronto called Grindig (pronounced grin-dig). They unfortunately fizzled out but for about a year or so, they were extremely popular in Toronto. They released a solid record, and their live show was killer. Shit-hot players, the best indie pop songwriting I've ever heard without sacrificing the rock element. I saw them 25 times in the span of about a year before they stopped playing. Saw them all over Ontario.

So a friend of mine has just unearthed a recording of a Grindig show at Healey's on February 15, 2003. I remember the night well. They packed the joint to the rafters and played forever. I was up front and probably more loaded than I had ever been. Then came the encore and they busted into the Hendrix tune Who Knows...and the singer, Derek, leans into the crowd, grabs me by the arm and straps his Telecaster onto me. I was a huge fan and knew the guys and they knew me, but we weren't really friends and had never played together...I was 19 and drunk as shit and didn't know what was going on...I remember leaning over to him and asking what key we were in and he said "D FLAT!" and we were away. What can I say...the recording doesn't lie. There are good bits and then there are...interesting bits.

But forget about that, the rest of the show is INCREDIBLE and really the only testament to one of my favourite bands ever, one that disolved far too soon.

Grindig

February 15, 2003

Healey's - Toronto, Ontario

Setlist

Dyin' All Over The Place

I Got Your Back

I Can't Get In Between

Deliciously

Best Of You

High In Demand

Country Serenade

Missing The Way

I Feel So Alive

The Ghetto Way

Jamalama Fafa

Boots

Cabbagetown

This Is Where We Get High

encore 1

Ella Fitzgerald

She So Inspires Me

All You Asked

Who Knows

Doing Well

I Want You Back

encore 2

Whiskey and Wine

Bron Y Aur Stomp

I beseech you. Download this show. It's a zip file containing tagged MP3's (sorry purists) and a whole bunch of crowd noise has been edited out (sorry again purists).

DOWNLOAD HERE - new link, one that works this time

ef-5.jpgef-1.jpgef-4.jpgef-3.jpg

sl_artistdetail_photo_grindig.jpg

Edited by Guest
things that work are good

Ah, Grindig.

I as well used to see them play frequently around Toronto back 'in the day.' I was first was introduced to them at a Zygote show, then would go see them play all the time here and there. Roman Tome' (percussion) was a big inspiration for me. Their last NXNE headlining show at Lee's Palace (in '03?) was killer. Thanks for the recording Good Rev. I'm just off to class now, but will take a listen to this when I get back.

Rev - isn't Derek playing in Holy Fuck now?

Yes sir, they were certainly on a bill with Zygote at one point. I saw them at Lee's during NxNE too, but I think the last time I saw them was at Yonge/Dundas during Toronto Streetfest, must have been Summer 2003.

Booch: I know Derek has had an on/off with Holy Fuck, I think maybe he fills in on the kit (or used to) when they need somebody. I know he is playing/has played drums with Hugh Dillon's Redemption Choir (singer from the Headstones), and has been gigging all over the place, doing sessions too. And yes, Roman Tome was/is a killer, killer percussionist. Great voice too. Funny you should mention that, because Vanderpark has reminded me of Grindig at times, though you guys stretch it out a bit more.

I couldn't find a picture of the drummer, Stefan Szezniak, but it's worth noting that he was also awesome. He still plays around Toronto. I remember as Grindig was disolving, he told me he had flown down south to play a track on the G-Love album that was being done at the time.

This is really interesting especially as I don't know a thing about this group. Fuck the things you pick up on this board.

As far as the Holy Fuck connection I think I have a good insight into that group and his connection is passing. There have been tonnes of people to pass through that group many who have not met one another. The pretty standard lineup is Brian Borcherdt, Mike Bigelow, Graham Walsh and rotating drummers Loel Campbell, Glen Milchum and Robbie Kuster.