Jambands.ca

Jon Rae and The River - Friday Night

mattyp

Hey folks,

Anybody up for Jon Rae and the River this Friday night at Lee's Palace? CD release, and I think last show of their current tour. These guys sort of remind me of The Band in their more balls out rocking mode. It'll be my last opportunity to catch them before I make a long trek south of the border...

Peace,

Matty

It's really too bad these guys are playing Toronto on the night BNB is doing their reunion...

I think the error was the latter's...the Jon-Rae tour has been booked for a long time. You're right, it is too bad, because I think these bands would share fans. I saw them in Hamilton last week and they were awesome, for what it's worth. They have a new drummer since the last time I saw them, he makes all the difference. Great songs with singalongs, and plenty of rocking.

i saw them when they came through ottawa, and they had so much potential, but i found their "singing" was so annoying I couldn't take it. the dude just yells, and the woman sings LOUD all the time. they don't have any sense of dynamic. too bad too, because the music was decent enough for a touring bar-band.

AD

I remember thinking something similar, but last week things were a little different. There is another new guy in the band, a seriously shaggy-bearded hippy-type fellow who plays an old-school moog-like synth on his lap. He sings too. I found that a lot of times they would all back off the mics and sing together, especially at the end of a tune. It was cool. I hear what you're saying with the chick being loud, though.

Go see jon Rae!!

This band is amazing! I know it is the same night as BNB but if you get the chance check them out.

They def. remind me of the Band and I would say are the Band of our time.

There new album is phenom. There last album was phenom! Go see them.

Aaron, their new drummer is Steve Kado who has been in the Toronto music scene for a long time.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there, dear. A cool Toronto band with a Band-like, Americana-informed sound, but harder rocking, and heavy communal-gospel influence when it comes to vocals and attitude. That's as far as I'll go. Great band, though, for sure.

I suspect they'll be easier to catch in the near future than Burt Neilson, though.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there' date=' dear. A cool Toronto band with a Band-like, Americana-informed sound, but harder rocking, and heavy communal-gospel influence when it comes to vocals and attitude. That's as far as I'll go. Great band, though, for sure.

I suspect they'll be easier to catch in the near future than Burt Neilson, though.

[/quote']

Yes, I think that is what I really meant when I said that they sounded like The Band. But saying "The Band" was much shorter.

Not entirely decided either way. Good music vs good friends?

Which is the cheaper ticket? :P

It will be my last chance to see either band for quite some time.

There are other things going on in TO tonight, but I figured I would bump this anyway...

The gospel punk rock of Jon Rae and the River. They have a bearded man who jams the Moog. Jon Rae himself belts out the vocals so that you see the veins in his neck, but to look at him you'd think he'd be typecast as an applied math/engineering major... Music to get your balls out and your whiskey on. Songs about sex, religion, and booze, all sorts. Two opening acts. The final act (Jon Rae) plays at midnight.

In an unrelated note, the last time I was at Lee's Palace for a show (I'm not ashamed to admit it was the Spin Doctors in '05), my friend had her drink doctored (in a bad way) when she set it down while we were dancing. I've never seen anyone go from being slightly tipsy to (literally) falling down and slurring in about 20 minutes.

This random PSA brought to you by the folks over at the Police Department and the letter "R".

In an unrelated note, the last time I was at Lee's Palace for a show (I'm not ashamed to admit it was the Spin Doctors in '05), my friend had her drink doctored (in a bad way) when she set it down while we were dancing. I've never seen anyone go from being slightly tipsy to (literally) falling down and slurring in about 20 minutes.

This random PSA brought to you by the folks over at the Police Department and the letter "R".

Cool! Maybe some cougar will dose my drink and I'll get lucky!

just kidding ! ! messing with someones drink is bad bad bad bad BAD