Jambands.ca

Music for sale.....

Dr. J

The sale of music for commercial purposes remains a contentious topic. Folks cried foul when Seger sold the rights to Like A Rock to General Motors and applauded Springsteen for refusing to license Born in the USA and were completely dumfounded when Dylan's The Times They are A Changin' showed up in a Bank of Montreal commercial.

Whatever side of the fence you're on (and some days I'm on both :o ) it's nice to see artists such as Andrew Vincent and Jim Bryson begin to get a piece of the pie. The debate regarding Seger, Springsteen etc was about highly successful artists whose bank accounts did not require the revenue. The same cannot be said of folks like Vincent and Bryson who have long paid their dues, often, I suspect, with limited financial reward.

I say go for it. Good for Kelp Records as well!

Ottawa Citizen

couldn't have happened to nicer guys as well.

i know a dude from The Salads (awful band) who had a song in a Molson Canadian commercial... 20 seconds of a song for a one-time payout of $90,000. Hard to say no to I bet.

I know a few other bands that are currently negotiating for movie and ad spots. Very sought-after for the struggling musician.

AD

I saw the ad and read about this on Kelp's mailing list. I think it's great and yeah it couldn't have happened to nicer guys.

A 5-spot says the Acorn will be next. Well, they're going to be "next" for all sorts of good things but next for commercial soundtrack is what I mean.