Jambands.ca

Howe Gelb with the Sno Angel Choir Canadian Tour Dates

TimmyB

A fantastic album ''Sno Angel Like You' where Howe Gelb (of Giant Sand fame) records in Canada with a Canadian choir and we Canadians are lucky we get these three tour dates with Gelb and the choir.

Tim

Here are Howe Gelb’s Upcoming Tour Dates

Howe w. Gospel Choir Fri Dec 15 La Sala Rossa Montreal Canada

Howe w. Gospel Choir Sat Dec 16 Ottawa Folk Festival Ottawa Canada

Howe w. Gospel Choir Sun Dec 17 Lee’s Palace Toronto Canada

More details:

Ottawa Folk Festival Concert

Howe Gelb

with The Voices of Praise Choir & The Sno' Angel Band

"Sno' Angel Like You"

with special guest Kate Maki

plus a fundraising Silent Auction

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Library & Archives Canada Auditorium, 395 Wellington St.

8:00 p.m. (Doors open at 7:00 p.m. to view Silent Auction items)

Tickets:

$20 in advance, $24 at the door

Tickets are available:

By phone, using VISA or Mastercard, from the Ottawa Folk Festival office

613-230-8234 (a $1 surcharge per ticket applies) Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

In mid-November, tickets will be available at:

Arbour Environmental Shoppe 800 Bank St. (in the Glebe)

CD Warehouse (3 locations): 1383 Clyde Ave.; 1717 St. Laurent Blvd.;499 Terry Fox Dr. (in Kanata)

End Hits 407 Dalhousie St. (at Rideau)

Lauzon Music 1345 Wellington St. (in Westboro)

mother tongue books 1067 Bank St. (near Sunnyside)

Ottawa Folklore Centre/OFC Music 1111 Bank St. (near Sunnyside)

Howe Gelb has been called one of the most resilient and consistently inventive American artists of the last two decades. A prolific solo recording artist and the anchor for the band Giant Sand, Howe Gelb is based in Tuscon, Arizona. While performing in Ottawa in 2003, Howe Gelb heard the Voices of Praise Choir. Howe says, “I was held captive by the sensation, glued to my seat there." After the performance, Howe approached the director of the choir and asked him, “Do you think it would be possible to record with such a sound and not do religious material?†“Sure,†was the reply, “if you keep it positive!â€

Inspired, Howe Gelb returned to Ottawa to record with the 11-member Voices of Praise Choir and Ottawa musicians Jeremy Gara, Jim Bryson, Fred Guignion and Dave Draves. In Howe's words, “it was a grand experiment to see if we could mesh the sounds of the muck I make with the dizzying effect of the glorious sound [the choir] makes.†The result was Sno' Angel Like You, an album that has received praise from around the world, leading to a Europeon tour featuring the whole roster of musicians.

This concert is a rare opportunity to enjoy the powerful musical experience that is Sno' Angel Like You.

In the summer of 2003, Sudburian Kate Maki made the bold decision to leave her comfortable job as a grade school teacher and set out to pursue a career in music. Her first record, Confusion Unlimited, was a spark, the genesis of a voice. Her second record, The Sun Will Find Us, was recorded in Ottawa by Dave Draves. Lending nods to the music of the Byrds, the Everly Brothers as well as Calexico and Emmylou Harris, it is the flexing of a soundly developed song-writing muscle.

• 2 weeks later...

The Howe Gelb gig is tonight for all of you great folks in Ottawa that don't know what to do with your night.

If I was there that was were I would be, but instead I will be seeing Mister Gelb tomorrow in Toronto at Lee's Palace.

If any of you are going to the Lee's gig let me know?

Tim