Jambands.ca

Deadwood/ Carnivale

zero

One interesting thing about Deadwood and Carnivale is that the Hearst's play into both. George Hearst is of course a character on Deadwood, William Randolph is alluded to and mentioned in the second season of Carnivale. It's fascinating how George's gold load defined the California and nation of it's time and William Randolph's media empire defined his own. Of course Orson Welle's Citizen Kane is a thinly veiled retelling of William Randolph Hearst's life and has been retold in film a few times since.

I love that Deadwood takes George Hearst's brief stay in the Deadwood camp and creates a fascinating character out of almost nothing, making him illiterate (subtly veiled), ruthless, terrifying and yet polite - even to Farnum. Major Dad and Simon & Simon never looked so bad.

Carnivàle is terrific creepy TV. Ron Moore is a fantastic producer/writer (See Battlestar Galactica).

I saw Carnivale the other day at the video store and wondered if we should start on that series. I have yet to see The Wire available.

Let me just say that Weeds is a chick show. Andy - the uncle - is one of the worst castings of a character I have ever seen. He should be far more hilarious than he is but it's obvious the method to their non-madness.