Jambands.ca

Slammin Jack w/ Caveman - Aug 9 - Ottawa

Nugget Productions

Nugget Productions presents

Slammin Jack (Vancouver BC) w/ Caveman(NYC)

Saturday August 9th

Cafe Dekcuf 221 Rideau St.

9 pm - $6

COME EARLY!! BOTH BANDS ARE SMOKING!!!!!!

Slammin Jack

Their music has been described as progressive-disco-funk-jam-grass. By combining syncopated rhythms, four-part harmonies, climactic melodies and bold yet adventurous improvisation, this eclectic bunch has gained tremendous momentum which in turn has rewarded them with a loyal and kick-ass West Coast following.

Consisting of Rich Martin, Scott Daniels, Sean Scallion, Martin Ayerst, and the always familiar Jeffrey Kornblum (formerly of The Burt Neilson Band), this Vancouver quintet will be promoting nothing but the music – LIVE.

Slammin Jack intend to keep it as real as it gets while maintaining a standard of weirdness and ever-evolving progress. “Slammin Jack are fast-becoming the hottest improv/groove act to come out of Vancouver in a very long time,” says Derek Arrowsmith of Upstream Entertainment.

Caveman

"CAVEMAN is a Raw Mystical Experience of Energetic Instrumental Improvisation From All Sounds of the World that will take you on a Journey to the Ice Jeweled Cave."

Blending a plethora of musical styles from jazz, rock, to tribal musics of Africa, India, China, and the Middle East, Caveman tells the story of the evolution of music carrying influences of John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, and sounds of mother nature.

Some of you may remember Caveman from last August, when they played Come Together Festival, The Comfort Zone in Toronto, and Lose Yer Shoes. Caveman is known for their crazy stage presence, body painting, originality, and extreme intensity of their music!

Guest Low Roller

Well that's no good.

Awww man, I don't think I'm gonna get to the bar tonight. It's been a long day *coughwakeandbakecough* and maybe it's best that I veg in front of my computer listening to tunes. Party on!

It went pretty damn well, though I wish the turnout would have been a little better. Come September and university time, the Ottawa crowds should get better.

First time seeing either band, and was moocho impressedo by both of them. Caveman had a nice sort of mix between ambient-ish Pink Floyd-like rock and just rock your socks off rock which was awesome, and Slammin Jack really has a nice funky thing going on with some Phishy overtones, or is that undertones?

Those dudes in the "skybox," to borrow Brad M's term, were high-larious.

I hope both bands can come back again sooner than later.

Man, that was a fun show (and I wasn't having nearly as much fun as the guys in the skybox).

One thing I noticed, though, which I've seen before: there were a bunch of people at the show that we hadn't seen before. This also happened at the Wassabi Collective show, and at shows with East Coast bands.

My guess is that there are lines of communication which don't intersect the jambands.ca and jamhub.ca message boards. Can anybody think of ways to integrate these people into the mob-at-large in Ottawa that goes to most shows? Promo flyers for the websites (and/or upcoming shows), and maybe an announcer hyping the websites (and/or upcoming shows) would help, I think.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived