Jambands.ca

Cuba - Havana and Varadero hotels or homestays

phorbesie

I stayed at one of the best hotels in Old Havana in August for three days: the NH Parque Central Hotel . It's a really good hotel, in the heart of Old Havana. I wish my wife and I stayed longer in Havana. It's a fascinating place, but the exhaust/oil fumes are often over-powering. But, you certainly will understand what Havana once must have looked like back in the 50's. It would have been glorious. The city still is dignified in it's own way, but it needs a lot of renewal and revitalization.

I also stayed four days and nights at Varadero's Sandals Royal Hicacos. Even though one main building was under construction at the time, the place is beautiful with the best beach you'll ever see.

I'll go back to both places. Cuba is by far the best place I've visited in the Caribbean and South America. It's one of the riches poor countries in the world, with proud, respectful and educated people.

Edited by Guest

oooh...was checking out that NH hotel the other day. there are some sweet old hotels in havana!

needing something affordable for most of the trip (5-6 days in havana, 2-3 days in varadero) but willing to splurge a few nights.

thanks for the info!

:)

The NH Parque is one of the newer and best hotels in Havana. It's a relaxing place - probably more like a North American 3 1/2 star to 4 star hotel - but it is near everything Old Havana. Keep in mind that some of the old hotels DO NOT have air-conditioning. Also keep in mind some of the hotels in Havana are located quite far away from Old Havana; i.e., not within walking distance (and the cabs won't be cheap).

You probably know this already, but: DO NOT bring US dollars to Cuba. They are not accepted in restaurants and bars. Most hotels will exchange US dollars. Canadian money is perfectly fine. Also, you'll have to place an order in to most Canadian banks for Cuban money. They don't have enough of it on-hand for quick exchange purposes.

Edited by Guest

i've been to cuba before but not to havana or varadero. but i figured changing my money at a cuban bank would be cool?

i don't like air conditioning anyway :)

Exchange money at the hotel. There's no difference in the exchange and the hotel folks speak English.

Havana is a wild place.

Do not let anyone off the street take you for a tour or give you directions physically. They'll want money and/or food... and a lot of it.

Edited by Guest

In Varadero.... The Barcelo Solymar was a wonderful place. I especially loved the bar that never closed. Mind you, we never had an all nighter, but right before any excursions, I was able to get a boozy coffee, and then a Rom Ponche or 2 for the busride.

Scooters were a blast!