Jambands.ca

QOTD 1/19/07: City Living or Country Pleasures?

Hartamophone

I've lived in a lot of different places and it all comes down to pulses and paces. I like having access to cities, but on a day to day basis, I've always enjoyed the times where I lived in more rural areas. It also comes down to asthetics; the country is just nicer. I love being outside but in most downtown scenario's stepping outside is like stepping into a big bubble.

The best scenario I've ever had was living in and around Nederland, CO; about a half hour drive from Boulder, then another 40 mins or so to Denver. The commute's geogeous as opposed to a nuissance. I need to get back out to the country. I think my dog would second that...

if it's not a social detachment it's a physical isolation issue. city versus country...? I would have to say that if you're unhappy in your current situation enough to move out or into the city then you shouldn't weigh out your options and hmm&haw about the change, just set yourself up to change your situation. Have an escape plan though just in case you in your planning and movement have a deep connection to your situation in the end.

feel free to skip this bloat unless you want to read what i write. I have had a similar inner dialogue often over the years and feel that I'm in a great situation in the city. All I can genuinely add are personal and if you're curious about ME and want a snapshot of my life, where I've come from, and how it relates to this question presently then take awhile and read it.

++

As much as I don't feel like as much of a city expert as some of you, I have a fairly unique perspective, moving across the country from country to big cities and smaller communities.

youth: tiny town ON. When I was growing up, my life as a child was amazing. I was safe, people were interesting, and the community was very left coast as I'm starting to understand since I live in Vancouver BC...

Teenage years set on and in a rural community, My friends were all nice people - highschool drama aside - but there were few people that challenged my sensibilities and ideas aside from teachers and friends' parents that would have a coffee with me and actually engage us in conversation.

city 1, country 0

I found a few friends from time to time to go into the city for shows with - Bug, then later Giggles after he came back from the west, among about 5 other people - and really found that the urban landscape was filled with certain treasures that a rural landscape could never bring me.

Music, Art, intellectual growth, style, social change.

city 2, country 0

The country has its merits but unless you run a home based business that does not require much driving, it is an environmentally unfriendly way of life.

It takes a focused effort to live in the country and save resources and accept the loss of time to driving for errands and work.

city 3, country 0

If you have the means to live somewhere small and contribute to your surroundings, family, and home then you are truly royalty in the grand scheme of life. What a beautiful opportunity you have to make the most of your own space and time.

city 3, country 1 (it can be done)

If the bustle of the city is too much to handle and you have not found a way to juggle energies then no tree hugger guilt trip will work, nor should it be laid on you.

city 3, country 2

It's close, I must admit. That's why the question's been posed - however - I find myself in a peculiar place. Vancouver.

I have a car but walk to work and to do my errands. $65 for a yearly parking pass - I still take the bus when I don't feel the need to drive.

I use my car to go places that transit makes awkward and if I have to take more than just a bag. Band practices, carpooling to shows and to see friends, out of the city to go hiking.W

When StoneMtn and Lassie were in Whistler, I trekked up there to get together.

I have the advantages of the big city - arts, interesting people, disc golf, transit, sculpture in public spaces, parks, and events happening to bring people together and encourage involvement.

So that being said, it is a city and the expenses I have are relatively low. If I were paying what my neighbours pay for rent I couldn't live here and have any money left over for anything but rent and food such as car insurance, my bass gear, computer, phone, or beer. People say all the time that it costs a lot more to live here but outside of rent I don't see it. I don't drink a lot or eat much prepackaged food. For instance, a can of campbell's mushroom soup is about $1.25 and tuna is the same or a bit more. A 12 pack of beer is about $20...more if you want it cold. We have deposit on almost all cans and bottles and it is a hassle to get it back, as grocery stores only take what they sell. It's far cheaper to buy ingredients and actually cook, which is pretty much common sense...but if you take into account that Ontario is a tertiary produce market, then we have an advantage with better food than you easterners. I miss my local beef but I don't eat a lot of meat.

It is also a cheap city to eat out when you look at the quality of the restaurants here.

$1 pizza is just as good as $3 pizza in Toronto, It's difficult to not get stuffed with sushi for $10, and the city abounds with Indo, Asian, Vegetarian, and high quality North American/European restaurants that routinely cater to single people...which is why i presume great restaurant fare is still attainable for under $10, beverage included. I can go out to see a movie for under $10, grab a beer for $5 or less, there's live entertainment in every corner of the city (albeit not always as fulfilling as I'd hope for but that's unrelated to this conversation) and I can walk a few blocks to my local pusherman for a hit, so understanding that the nickels and dimes add up then that's how city life can be really quite taxing.

If I were planning on owning property I would want to live in the country.

city 3, country 3 - tie, considering that I'm in a unique situation and the variables around me.

I am a renter and will be for a long time. When I get to the point of saving the money I'd spend on upkeep, taxes, insurance, appliances, and utilities on owning I'm sure there'll be a 'rent or own' thread but until then, My choice is the city, I have everything that I need and a little place to come and chill out close to the beach, giant park (which is closed now but still there). and a beautiful view of mountains. I don't have children on the way (as far as I know).

Perhaps if I needed to take care of a family or own property I would change my tune.

I can put up with social dysfunction (homelessness, drug addiction, isolation, uneasiness, classism, and general city wierdness) and having to go to a laundromat for now. I know there are times that I go bonkers, but it can still happen in the country but for different and equally valid concerns.