Jambands.ca

Peter Gabriel Goes It Online and Alone

Kanada Kev

This should be interesting. Peter sticking it to the major record labels, to a degree. I hope he's successful in this endeavour and that it will allow more artists to take more control of all aspects of their art and career.

petergabriel_W.jpg

PETER GABRIEL GOES IT ONLINE AND ALONE

The pioneer of digital music is to fund his next record

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/peter_gabriel/news/9295

Former founding Genesis member and multi-instrumentalist Peter Gabriel has announced that he will release his next album in the US without the aid of a record company.

First reported in The Times newspaper yesterday (January 21), Gabriel, an early pioneer of digital music distribution, has raised £2 million towards recording and 'shipping' his next as-yet-untitled album in a venture with investment boutique Ingenious Media.

Gabriel is expected to earn double the money that he would get through a conventional record deal.

Commercial director Duncan Reid of Ingenious explains the business savvy of the deal, saying, "If you're paying a small distribution fee and covering your own marketing costs, you enjoy the lion's share of the proceeds of the album.

Gabriel is expected to outsource CD production for worldwide release through Warner Bros. Records.

The new album deal covers the North America territory, where Gabriel is currently out of contract.

Ingenious have previously scored chart entries with independently released albums by Mick Hucknall's Simply Red.

Other than picking up his last couple of live DVDs, i haven't had much interest in his stuff. My favourite still is Gabriel III. Found a cassette copy of it in my desk in Grade 7 ('83) at Glenview (along with 3 Sides Live). I was hooked on both from that point forward.

Gabriel,%20Peter%20-%20Peter%20Gabriel%20(3).jpg

Edited by Guest

Peter Gabriel 3 is easily in my top ten all time. I am totally in love with the production on that album and every song is killer.

His form dropped off after that but his albums were still solid up to and including Us... which took me forever to like.

But I'm not sure who I feel about his last one, Up. I loved it at first but that only lasted a few months. I can't think of one song off it that I'd like to hear right now. Some good ideas but I find the finished product sounds dated... probably because it took 10 years to finish. I actually really like "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" which was on the pre-release but didn't make the final cut.

I guess one of the other questions will be how will the radio airplay game fair for him. Without the major label lobby junket to get the songs on the air' date=' will it get the proper push from the stations.[/quote']

Did his last album?

Good point.

I enjoy 'Up.' I feel that "Sky Blue," "More Than This" and "Signal to Noise" are fantastic songs found in the Peter Gabriel catalogue.

Tim