Jambands.ca

Share your New Orleans Jazzfest experiences!

Tenenbaum

Hey,

just curious if any of y'all have been to New Orleans' Jazzfest?

So far, I've heard that:

-bring money

-there's a long commute between stages at the fairground

-bring money

-Dr John could be the shiznit

also, I'm collecting opinions on hot acts to catch at the event, so if you'd be so kind to take a look at the list of performers for the FIRST WEEKEND (APR 27, 28, 29) I'd much appreciate it!

main festival:

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

late nights:

http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/weekend-1

merci buckets~!

Ike and I went to Jazzfest three years ago, It was so awesome. We decided to camp about 15-20mins out of town. It would have been great a cheap but it rain almost every day and we had to get a hotel.( this was before the RV). We stayed at a really cheap hotel. That was a hole other story for a different thread. Anyways money is always good, and a good pair of shoes. There is a hole lot of walking and dancing. We saw a really good local funk band called Papa's Grow Funk, I think thats the spelling. But if they are playing for sure ckeck them out, they are awesome. I hope you have an wick time I wish I could go again.

One more thing if someone offers you acid and they tell you its clean and you won't hardly feel it, RUN RUN far away.

'95 Fucking hilarious. We're waiting to get in, early enough, parked a few blocks away. It's the Phish day. There's these idylling cars one of which is a big Cadillac and they're not getting in soon. This very New Orleans guy driving the caddy says to us, one of whom was a really big dude Lichman who drove us down in the '95 Lincoln and was like our chauffeur/bodyguard on tour. We sort of, uhmm, needed one. Anyways I don't think he asked us, the longhairs as much as Lichman but he calls us over and says in this NOLA drawl: 'Hey boys you wanna watch my car while I go in and grab some beer'. The car is running and the store is right there. So Lichman says sure. THEN. The guy walks out with a sixpack, pulls out two from the ring of six. Like he's going to give us a couple. Keeps the two (him and his girl). Passes us the other four and is like thanks guys. Classic.

I only went that one year but it occurs to me that I have hilarious stories including:

-smoking bowls in the lineup with Phish's tour manager

-smoking bowls IN THE GOSPEL TENT with Phish's tour manager

-pulling into NOLA parking on a side street and hearing the hiss of nitrous, finding a station wagon, the guys trying to sell it to us right away and then the like 'wait you guys are from Canada?'. Free nitrous all night.