Jambands.ca

nero 2002-03-31 available for download

bradm

In prep for Saturday's Noises From The Toolshed / Ingelwood Jack wing-ding at Cafe Dekcuf in Ottawa, here's the nero show that took place there exactly five years previously:

http://www.archive.org/details/nero2002-03-31.sp-bmc-3.shnf

(The following is from five-years-gone memory. Corrections, additions, and amendments are welcome.)

This one was a serious blast. When Cafe Dekcuf opened (taking over the space that was The Whipping Post, where nero held down a regular Tuesday gig for [at least] a big chunk of 2001), they wanted to put in a policy that prevented people from recording bands. As I recall, Velvet (bless his moxie) went to them and talked in their language, saying he knew a bunch bands that were cool with being recorded, and a bunch of fans that wanted to see those bands; a no-taping policy would mean those bands (and thus their fans) would possibly be reluctant to play there. It ended up that a challenge was agreed upon: if Velvet (and nero) could fill the place to capacity on a night named by the bar, with no promotion (save a single post on phishsanctuary.com, which later merged with jambands.ca to be what you know now), the bar would reverse its policy.

The night chosen was Sunday, March 31, 2002 (which I think was also Easter Weekend that year). The post was made, and (14 pages later; it was one of the biggest topics from that era of the Sanctuary) things soon got crazy: people realized that a lot of businesses start their fiscal year on April 1, so the show became a "Fiscal New Year's Eve" show ("Auld Land Syne" was even played :) ), commemorative "Phish Sanctuary" money was printed up, name tags were created, and on and on it went.

nero rocked the house, for just over three hours. It was a blast, and we ended up packing the place to (and just over, I think) capacity. It was the first time for the as yet unnamed "Effervescence" (in fact, "Effervescence" was given its at this show), and there were also covers of "Chameleon" and (a tease of) "Shakedown Street."

Special thanks to aberg83, who recorded the show. I got it in a trade (from someone else) last year some time, and only recently noticed that it hadn't been uploaded. aberg83 approved my uploading of it, and supplied the set list. Extra-special thanks to nero for playing (this show, and the others there and elsewhere), Cafe Dekcuf for hosting it and living up to their end of the bargain (which is of special significance to me as I started taping a few months after this), Velvet for instigating the whole affair, bouche and phishsanctuary.com for being a meeting ground for everybody, and all the people who came out so we could show them the fan base that we are.

Enjoy!

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I still have my nametag somewhere from that evening... possibly even have the template for the monopoly-like money that was printed as well.

That was a fun night.

"Fiscal New Year"... What an insane concept for a theme. And it was great!