Blues fans take note:

MEL BROWN

MelBrownInTown350.jpg

SATURDAY, APRIL 14TH

also featuring THE STEVE STRONGMAN BAND

Tickets $15

Showtime 8pm

www.pepperjackcafe.com

"He's probably one of the greatest guitar players in any style. I remember playing at Antone's and all these hot shot Austin guys had played before him. Mel just came up and slaughtered all of us, including me. Just murdered everybody." - Joe Louis Walker

If Walker was right, then Mel Brown may be one of the greatest unknown Blues guitarists. Brown, who was born in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1939, learned the Blues from his father who played with Tommy Johnson and the Chatmon family. When Brown was sixteen he and his Les Paul moved to Los Angeles where he quickly became an in-demand session guitarist. A quick Brown bio from those days features stints with Johnny Otis, Nancy Wilson, Bobby "Blue" Bland, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Lightnin' Hopkins, and many others. As Brown lived the life of a musician there were many records and tours, including his first recordings as a frontman in 1967 with T-Bone Walker for the ABC Bluesway label. From 1967 to 1970 Brown subsequently released six albums for Bluesway.

Then, after leading Bobby "Blue" Bland's band off and on until 1982, Brown was asked by Clifford Antone to relocate to Austin and join the Antone's house band. Throughout the 1980s Brown backed every major Blues performer who came through the club. Then, in 1989, Brown relocated to Ontario and since 2000 has released four stellar records on Electro-Fi Records. Veteran guitarist and B-3 man Mel Brown backed T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker and Etta James before spending more that a decade in the employ of Bobby "Blue" Bland.

Today Mel Brown lives and records in Kitchener, Ontario. He received the Maple Blues "Blues with a Feeling" (Toronto Blues Society Lifetime Acheivement) Award in January 2004.

Some artists Mel Brown has played and/or recorded with:

Sonny Boy Williamson / Billy Preston / Lightnin' Hopkins / Eric Gale / Jimmy Witherspoon / Steve Antone / Willie Nelson / Archie Shep / B. B. King / The Crusaders / Jerry Lewis / Bobby Darin / Etta James / Buddy Guy / Johnny Otis / Bill Cosby / Jimmy McGriff / Dr. Hook / The Glaser Bros. / Barney Kessel / Albert King / Bobby Bryant / Doris Day / Angela Stehli / Maxine Brown / T-Bone Walker / John Lee Hooker / Nancy Wilson / Albert Collins / Waylon Jennings / Jesse Colter / Howard Roberts / Bobby Bland / Oliver Nelson / Andy Williams / James Cotton / Lou Ann Barton / Snooky Pryor

I don't know if I can handle two nights out in a row... but this sounds great to me! I've always wanted to see Mel Brown live, and Steve Strongman is always good times too. Is Strongman playing with the Lapsley brothers these days? I thought I heard something about them doing a European tour, and that they recently got signed...

With an 8:00pm show start it may be feasible though... what time do you suspect Mel will go on?

Would love to make this as its been quite awhile since I saw Mel in steeltown - probally last time was back when he did the monthly (or so) gigs at La Lunas in the mid 90's.

Always a good show. Might just make it down if I'm back in Hamilton in time.

it's worth it... so worth it. anyone that didn't see him yet must go. he really is best in my opinion. and i don't go round talking people up too much. if you "get" players with fell you'll get mel's playing. he has his own style and it's sweet.

rickyneu

I totally agree. Mel Brown is one of the best shows I've seen so far, anywhere. He's really nice too. Is his wife singing with him? She's great.