Jambands.ca

Marijuana March

Kanada Kev

I hear ya MarcO. With all 'movements' it seems the more 'radical' are the ones that get their voices heard, and their antics seen. These usually don't reflect the majorities that stand behind the cause. Gatherings such as this can reinforce stereotypes and close the ears and minds of those who are still ignorant. However, maybe it will touch a few and make them do a little more research.

I've met a few gay couples with a similar stance when the subject of the Pride Parade is raised. They are older, well-established individuals and they feel that the antics of the Pride Parade don't really raise awareness or increased understanding of the more 'common' gay lifestyle, but rather reinforces a lot of stereotypes.

It's a tough call. I guess that the fact that we are able to have demonstrations such as these with out major ramifications, fears, or penalties is a huge bonus that we should be grateful for in our society. When these priviledges start to erode, or are stripped away, dammit I hope that EVERYONE would stand up and fight for their rights to have rights! (sadly this just hasn't been happening enough lately south of the border).

Sure, but is smoking weed in Canada the most important right to mobilize for?Pffftt.

There are plenty of things that are more pressing, IMHO. I was just trying to say that if we weren't given the right anyomore to freely demonstrate and try to communicate a message that may be in opposition to the establishment, it would be really sad if people didn't stand up.

People like Alan Young are able to represent no-fuss people like myself thoughtfully and with dignity. That's all I ask from these gatherings but too often it turns into transient peoples engaging in civil disobedience for the thrill of smoking pot in public places. There's no brains behind it. It's a circus I don't want to be a part of, even in my own discreet times of consumption becasue it's not the company I wish to keep.

I took a work-related pass through downtown Hamilton after this years 4:20 march and witnessed some appalling behaviour from some obviously stoned ding-dongs. When someone's right to party starts alarming little old ladies is when I say enough is enough.