Jambands.ca

LED ZEPPLIN - HOW THE WEST WAS WON

Guest Low Roller

The new Led Zeppelin DVD is simply put: incredible.

For fans of the band, this is an essential compendium chronicling, through live performance, LZ's rise from hyperactive rock band to legends in arena rock.

For the newbie, this DVD will introduce you to what rock is meant to be and show how far rock 'n roll music has regressed thanks to the uniformity and blandness of today's music industry.

My advice: skip disk 1 for the time being, and start off from disk 2. Track 1 on disk 2 is the best version of Immigrant Song I have ever heard.

This DVD gets my highest possible recommendation.

Not to mention one of the best live albums, hands down. In terms of performance and quality, this album has it all! A 23 minute Moby Dick shows that Bonham really was the incredible drummer everyone says he was. Disc 1 alone is worth the price of the triple set.

And to top it all off, the album starts with that same version of Immigrant Song that you all love so much from the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

The DVD is a must have. The CD has some interesting versions of songs but the DVD kills it.

Funny that I found the first DVD to be the better of the two. They were less overblown super-fab rock stars and more a lean mean revved up blues machine. The "White Summer" is unbelievable, played at a frightening pace. Take that all you brain dead guitarists that say you are better than Page.

Steve

I disagree with Low Roller's recommendation of starting off with Disk #2. The DVD's disk #1 is essential Zeppelin and captures them at their blues best - it contains a full show and it showcases Zeppelin at the peak of their blues period. It's so fuckin' raw and inspired.

I hope everyone with a DVD player has a DTS decoder with surround speakers? If not, the full impact of this Zeppelin DVD will not be realized.

Archived